Leaf spring sagging? 1st gen w body suspension issue

GranPrix

Go to solution Solved by 55trucker,

My suspension on my rear driver side wheel seems to be sagging. When I press down on the back of the car on both sides the shock feels nice and stiff. They were replaced a few years ago. Could the leaf spring be starting to sag from wear? The car has lived in minnesota its whole life so maybe rust? I dont know much about this “single leaf spring” suspension system.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Solution

1st thing you *need* to do is get the car on a flat horizontal concrete pad.

One takes a height measurement thru the rocker boxes just behind the front wheelwells & in front of the rears.

The basic ride height is supposed to be 9.8" at the front & 10.1" at the rear regardless of suspension option.

The *glas* spring is supposed to be sag resistant (one of the benefits of its design), if one side is lower than the other have a close look at the rubber bushings (inner upper bushings & the outer pads for uneven crush.

Condemn the spring as a last resort. If one were to remove the spring & lay it out on a work bench....use a straight edge across the entire arc length ..take a tape measurement from the inner bushings location of the spring surface to the straight edge at *90 degrees to the straight edge*  both halves should measure the same length.

The shocks typically have no bearing on the ride height unless one side is seized in an extended position. Even tho current shocks are gas charged the nitrogen charge is not enough to raise the ride height.

I checked them and they look cracked due to age but dont look like they are uneven. I parked it on a smooth parking lot surface and it was definitely sagging in the left rear. If I replace the bushings on the leaf spring ends do I have to drop the whole thing?

Edited by GranPrix