Finally decided on a car!

rcLord510

If anyone remembers my previous thread I was trying to figure out what w to get, and I’ve made up my mind(I think?) looking for either a 97-02 gtp or a 94+ cutlass. I guess it’s whatever comes up first, also just curious, are there parts you can’t get for the lq1? A lot of those year cutlasses have those motors, and this is gonna be a first car so I’d rather not have it out or commission for a while while I save for a l67 swap, so I’d rather keep it running while I’m saving, so any parts that you can’t get for them anymore? And also, anything I should be looking out for in those year Grand Prixs? Can’t think of anything off the top of my head, but if you guys know any let me know, also looking at montes, but it’d have to be a supercharged one or a Ls4 one.

if anyone finds either of those two(cutlass or gtp) mostly rust free within two hours of se Wisconsin, let me know!

• Like 2

For a 1st car I`d go with a low mileage 2nd or 3rd gen naturally aspirated Monte Carlo, Regal, GP or even Impala while I saved for a weekend/back up LQ1 or SC 3800 project. 

The LQ1 is a sort of special engine that in 2023 is a bit above beginner level to deal with but this is the right place to learn. And the supercharged 3800 calls for premium gas and in my experience the earlier L67 preferred the ethanol free stuff.

Dont let location deter you. Check out some of the auction sites for rust free cars down south or out west. You can arrange a 3rd party inspector to check it out and take pics (about $100) and vehicle transport can be arranged to even deliver it to you or convenient site nearby for an 18-wheeler to get into.

Edited by rich_e777
man did I edit that into something FUBAR
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, rich_e777 said:

For a 1st car I`d go with a low mileage 2nd or 3rd gen naturally aspirated Monte Carlo, Regal, GP or even Impala while I saved for a weekend/back up LQ1 or SC 3800 project. 

The LQ1 is a sort of special engine that in 2023 is a bit above beginner level to deal with but this is the right place to learn. And the supercharged 3800 calls for premium gas and in my experience the earlier L67 preferred the ethanol free stuff.

Dont let location deter you. Check out some of the auction sites for rust free cars down south or out west. You can arrange a 3rd party inspector to check it out and take pics (about $100) and vehicle transport can be arranged to even deliver it to you or convenient site nearby for an 18-wheeler to get into.

I’m looking at a monte right now, but I’ve been working on cars a long time, and I know if I got a na 3800 I would end up top swapping it, against my better judgement. So I’m just gonna go with something sc right away. And yeah I really don’t want an lq1 tbh, I know some people like them, but they aren’t my thing. So is prob get a cutlass as a side project and L67 swap it, so that’s probably the plan, something with a sc3800 and get a weekend cutlass to l67 swap, the fun car if you will 

First car?  Why are you buying a major project?

Buy a car that's already got an L67 if you're so set on that engine.  Don't buy a car that you know going in that it's going to be a headache to make it what you want.