New member with a 1995 Teal and tan 'Vert

mechanic80

I'll be getting my new (to me) Cutlass Supreme Convertible next week and aside from the 3.1 intake manifold gaskets, the most work will be on the top.  It seems that a new top had been done in the last couple of years but is not operational.  What fun!  I'll know more when it's delivered.

130K miles, may have had the gaskets replaced already, we'll see.

1995oldsmobilecutlassconvertible.jpg

1995oldsmobilecutlassconvertible #2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice ride, the 3.1 isnt a bad engine at all. 

That lower manifold gasket can get annoying but once you`ve done it once or twice and keep the engine clean its not to bad. Might not be a bad idea to flush all the fluids too. 

I couldnt say much about the top other than find a shop that specializes in them, usually upholstery shops do. I would recommend some silicone grease or gummi plfedge for the rubber glass seals and weather stripping though. Those seals are not replaceable. First thing I`d do is pop the trunk and remove the cover to expose the antenna and make sure its not leaking. It`ll start rusting out from the inside behind the rear wheel. 

Went through all 36 pages of  Supreme convertible posts (MAN they're old!) and the biggest problem seems to be the top, followed by the intake manifold gaskets.  Since I cannot tolerate much sun, the  top will not be down much and unless there is a sticker to the contrary in the engine compartment, I'll get to the intake manifold right away.  Everything else can wait till the spring.  

1995oldsmobilecutlassconvertible #3.jpg

• Thanks 1

Unless you are seeing gunk build up on the underside of the radiator cap or see evidence of a leak either behind the power steering pump or underneath the throttle body area on top of the engine block then I wouldn't worry about it. I`d check out the brakes and all the fluids first, see if there is evidence the LIM gasket needs replaced. 

• Like 1