2010 Buick stalls, restarts after 20 minutes

prariedom

My parent's Buick (2010) has started stalling on the highway, it stumbles then dies... then starts again 20 minutes later. No codes shown or set. They're in their 80's, not a good thing. 

instinct says security system but I've heard of solder issues. Anybody have ideas or info?

WHAT ENGINE?  WHAT VEHICLE?

Nothin' but guesswork until you can do some diagnosis when the vehicle is dead.

Does it still have spark?

Does it still have adequate fuel pressure?  How old is the fuel filter?

Connect a scan tool when the engine won't run.  Is there an rpm signal when cranking?  Any sensors not responding properly?

Let's see. Happened out of town twice, so I don't know if it's been reset or not. Buick Lucerne, 3.8, 125k. I just found out about it and trying to get ahead of it in case it strands them out of town again.

What I know so far, they went to Ames (2 hours west), on the way back, car stumbles and dies, no CEL. Tow to dealer in Marshalltown who "fixes" it, 45 miles close to home, does it again. No CEL, no warning. One common thing, it will restart after 20 minutes. $400 tow home, $3000 at local mechanic who changes fuel filter and relay. Apparently, has happened before. From what I can gather, no codes have set either.  I would think fuel issues should set a code, same with ignition module or crank/cam sensors, but maybe not.

This reminds me of the Celebrity's ignition or the '99 Lumina's security system issues. 

I'm going to see if there's a freeze frame to work with. I really need to get a better code scanner, something like Gretio, anyway, if someone has recommendations for one that's not too expensive and can interact and program. 

My dad used to be a competent mechanic - how I learned - but he's 84. I told him next time if it happens call me and let me look before he takes it in. I'm quite sure it'll happen again.

• 5 months later...

GM is terrible about the battery to body ground, they use a piddly little wire on the 3.8. Ground point gets a little rusty, resistance increases, temp increases, vicious circle wire gets hot and conductivity stops, after 15 to 20 mins, its cooled enough to conduct again and car starts and drives, repeat. Like an unshielded starter on an SBC. use a bigger wire to a better body ground

Edited by Callahanj0b