Wheel bolt circle diameter

Schurkey

Go to solution Solved by 55trucker,

Searched for "bolt circle" and got zero hits.

What is the lug-stud bolt circle diameter of Gen 1 W-bodies? Kinda guessing it's a crazy Metric measurement.

I'm thinking the Gen 2 W-body bolt circle diameter was the same, but with different wheel offset/backspacing, so that Gen 2 wheels don't work on Gen 1 vehicles, or vice-versa.  (Am I wrong?)

Edited by Schurkey

• Solution

?

the bolt circle is 115mm,  Gen 1 & 2 are the same circle, one CAN get Gen 2 wheels to  bolt to the Gen 1 suspension but one needs (ugh) a minimum 1" spacers to allow the needed clearance for the calipers.

• Like 2

I have `99 GTP rims on my `94 Cutlass. I had to use 1/4" spacers to clear the front calipers but IIRC the rears were fine. If our cars are measuring 115mm I recall reading years ago there was a desirable Mustang rim in 113.5mm that was close enough to work. I never mounted them to see for myself though.

BnJtOHV.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/1/2023 at 10:51 AM, rich_e777 said:

I have `99 GTP rims on my `94 Cutlass. I had to use 1/4" spacers to clear the front calipers but IIRC the rears were fine. If our cars are measuring 115mm I recall reading years ago there was a desirable Mustang rim in 113.5mm that was close enough to work. I never mounted them to see for myself though.

The only experience I've had with this situation was 23 years ago when I first had the notion of mounting the crosslace wheels to the car. At that time I didn't realize that the 16x7 crosslace wheel fitted to the Bonneville's were not quite the same as the crosslace wheels fitted to the GP's.

After unknowingly picking up a set & going to the effort of refinishing them when it came time to mount them that's when I discovered that Bonneville wheels (H platform) won't fit the W platform (by that I mean they won't clear the calipers). I should've been more diligent in my research...... finding out that the H platform wheels share the same dimensions as the 2nd gen W wheels. 

4 hours ago, 55trucker said:

I didn't realize that the 16x7 crosslace wheel fitted to the Bonneville's were not quite the same as the crosslace wheels fitted to the GP's.

After unknowingly picking up a set & going to the effort of refinishing them when it came time to mount them that's when I discovered that Bonneville wheels (H platform) won't fit the W platform (by that I mean they won't clear the calipers). I should've been more diligent in my research...... finding out that the H platform wheels share the same dimensions as the 2nd gen W wheels. 

I learn something every day.  I just finished cramming some crosslace wheels onto the front of my '92 Euro 3.4 Lumina.  I've had the set of four wheels for maybe ten years, but just got those two installed yesterday.  They were supposedly GP wheels, and I guess they actually are...since they clear the front calipers.  Another one is on the rear of a '93 Lumina Euro 3.4.  And the fourth wheel...is lost somewhere.

This thread started because I have a small fleet of vehicles I care for.  Some "real" cars, some "parts cars".   I've bought spare wheels (with tires) off of Craigslist, or my favorite Treasure Yard for most of them.  And...those wheels/tires have been generally useless because of bead-leaks or valve-stem leaks that I don't have the equipment to fix.

So one of my pre-Winter projects has been to haul a half-dozen wheels at a time to a local tire shop that ISN'T infested with crybabies, whiners, and witless product-liability lawyers that refuse to re-mount tires older than ten years.  They dismount the tires, I haul the tires and wheels home so that I can properly clean the bead area of the wheels, and inspect the tire beads, then haul 'em back to the tire shop to get 'em re-mounted and some of them balanced.  Half these vehicles haven't been driven in 7+ years, and some of them don't have running engines.  I need these tires to hold air, not be safe at 100+ mph.  These cars get rolled back-and-forth on my driveway, not driven at Bonneville Speedway.

Anyway, for awhile I thought I was going to have to cram a spare set of 1998 Monte Carlo wheels under my '93 Lumina; but that situation has worked itself out.

I've actually priced-out tire machines, and wheel balancers so I wouldn't have to rely on someone else to do my tire work for me.  I just can't justify $6000+ for a fleet of a dozen vehicles.  And there's essentially no such thing as "used" tire equipment for sale around here.  A Coats 20/20 is what I used decades ago; Maybe that would be sufficient, but wheel sizes have increased dramatically from the days of 13, 14, and 15 inch tires.   I don't know if an old Coats would work on today's wheels.

Edited by Schurkey

2 hours ago, Go4DaMo said:

Did you space them, then?

Uh, No....

sold them off & did the project again with (this time) the proper wheels...(the ones you presently see on the car)

58 minutes ago, Schurkey said:

I learn something every day.  I just finished cramming some crosslace wheels onto the front of my '92 Euro 3.4 Lumina.  I've had the set of four wheels for maybe ten years, but just got those two installed yesterday.  They were supposedly GP wheels, and I guess they actually are...since they clear the front calipers.  Another one is on the rear of a '93 Lumina Euro 3.4.  And the fourth wheel...is lost somewhere.

This thread started because I have a small fleet of vehicles I care for.  Some "real" cars, some "parts cars".   I've bought spare wheels (with tires) off of Craigslist, or my favorite Treasure Yard for most of them.  And...those wheels/tires have been generally useless because of bead-leaks or valve-stem leaks that I don't have the equipment to fix.

So one of my pre-Winter projects has been to haul a half-dozen wheels at a time to a local tire shop that ISN'T infested with crybabies, whiners, and witless product-liability lawyers that refuse to re-mount tires older than ten years.  They dismount the tires, I haul the tires and wheels home so that I can properly clean the bead area of the wheels, and inspect the tire beads, then haul 'em back to the tire shop to get 'em re-mounted and some of them balanced.  Half these vehicles haven't been driven in 7+ years, and some of them don't have running engines.  I need these tires to hold air, not be safe at 100+ mph.  These cars get rolled back-and-forth on my driveway, not driven at Bonneville Speedway.

Anyway, for awhile I thought I was going to have to cram a spare set of 1998 Monte Carlo wheels under my '93 Lumina; but that situation has worked itself out.

I've actually priced-out tire machines, and wheel balancers so I wouldn't have to rely on someone else to do my tire work for me.  I just can't justify $6000+ for a fleet of a dozen vehicles.  And there's essentially no such thing as "used" tire equipment for sale around here.  A Coats 20/20 is what I used decades ago; Maybe that would be sufficient, but wheel sizes have increased dramatically from the days of 13, 14, and 15 inch tires.   I don't know if an old Coats would work on today's wheels.

would've thought you might find a used in good condition Hunter somewhere