1990 Pontiac Grand Prix SE Bumper Moldings

WB90GP

Hello all,

I have 1990 Pontiac Grand Prix with the red trim moldings that surround the car. Obviously these have long since been discontinued but I am looking to see if anybody has a lead or knows of cross compatible part numbers for the front and rear bumper parts of the red molding? I've searched high and low across the internet without much luck. The occasional chrome molding has popped up before but that is it. Thanks, and let me know if this topic needs to be put elsewhere on the forum. 

2 hours ago, WB90GP said:

Hello all,

I have 1990 Pontiac Grand Prix with the red trim moldings that surround the car. Obviously these have long since been discontinued but I am looking to see if anybody has a lead or knows of cross compatible part numbers for the front and rear bumper parts of the red molding? I've searched high and low across the internet without much luck. The occasional chrome molding has popped up before but that is it. Thanks, and let me know if this topic needs to be put elsewhere on the forum. 

Pics or it didnt happen...

You are referring to a red accent stripe set inside a track in the bumpers?

I might have seen something that could work in the lick and stick isle at Autozone. It was that 3m adhesive flex chrome molding but it also came in black, red, yellow, and blue. IIRC it was about 1/4" wide and came in 10' or 15' rolls.

18 hours ago, rich_e777 said:

Pics or it didnt happen...

You are referring to a red accent stripe set inside a track in the bumpers?

I might have seen something that could work in the lick and stick isle at Autozone. It was that 3m adhesive flex chrome molding but it also came in black, red, yellow, and blue. IIRC it was about 1/4" wide and came in 10' or 15' rolls.

I'll definitely have to take a look at something like that. It is indeed the red accent stripe that has its own track in the bumper itself, as you can see in the pic (only pic I have easily available at the moment). The parts on the far edges of the bumper are peeling and the red is cracking off. 

20230228_181955 - Copy.jpg

Edited by WB90GP
  • Like 2

Hmm, that strip is a bit wider than the trim I saw in red. They do make a wider option but Ive only seen it in chrome. 

However you might be in luck, as IIRC that's just vinyl with butyl or similar tape holding it on. I would contact a swimming pool vinyl liner company and see if they can cut you a strip you could then use to replace whats on there. 

Heres a period correct Mustang option that might work. https://lmr.com/item/GE-N001RED/87-93-Mustang-GT-Red-Body-Molding-Stripe

Or you could try to contact one of the aftermarket auto body companies that make the 3m chrome trim and see if they have a red option. Just search "Auto body molding". 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rich_e777 said:

Hmm, that strip is a bit wider than the trim I saw in red. They do make a wider option but Ive only seen it in chrome. 

However you might be in luck, as IIRC that's just vinyl with butyl or similar tape holding it on. I would contact a swimming pool vinyl liner company and see if they can cut you a strip you could then use to replace whats on there. 

Heres a period correct Mustang option that might work. https://lmr.com/item/GE-N001RED/87-93-Mustang-GT-Red-Body-Molding-Stripe

Or you could try to contact one of the aftermarket auto body companies that make the 3m chrome trim and see if they have a red option. Just search "Auto body molding". 

I'll definitely have to look into that. I appreciate the guidance...it's been driving me crazy because there are listings on eBay for all kinds of body moldings, including new old stock of different GM red moldings but none of them like this one. That's the game we play with these old units haha!