92 CSC Door Latch/Lock help needed!

ckf102-2

Hey guys, long time lurker (from like 2009), 3rd time poster......

I have a 92 CSC, the drivers door was sticking when I opened it, so, searched, saw how to adjust the door handle, yes, it was near the end of the rod, but it was working perfectly.....thought I was done.  Then I locked the door.  oops.  The door would not open inside or outside.  I ended up pulling the seat, and beating it with a rubber mallet while pulling on the door to get it to open.  

For the life of me, I can't figure out what went wrong, I only adjusted the door latch with that barrel nut, never touched the door lock.  Now, as long as I don't lock the door, I'm ok, but if I lock it, the only way to get it to unlock is to beat on it.  I have sprayed the hell out of it with WD-40, the rods don't look like they are bent, I'm wondering if the door latch failed?  if so any suggestions?  I'm not a mechanic but I'll give it a go.....Also, as a last resort, can I use an entire assembly from a 93 Regal (only gen 1 I could find in a junkyard locally)?  

I'm stumped and would like to put my car back together again before winter comes and drive it a bit.  any suggestions would be welcome. I'm also like many of you scouring the web for junkyards, craigslist, etc..... for parts.

Also, before you jump on me, I have searched the forum for days looking this up, that's how I got the idea to get out the rubber mallet and beat on it.

finally, is there any alternative like an electric door opener or something like that you may have or have tried?

Thanks!

Clay

I dont think I ever saw anyone jumped on here unless they were being obnoxious in the first place, maybe once or twice 10 years ago.

I`m looking inside my door now in a 1994 CS coupe, you may need to pull the door panel off and the plastic moisture barrier back to see better. I recall reading once someone here had an issue with the lock linkage rod coming loose from the latch mechanism inside the door. Its connected to a little lever you should see with the window down on the outer face of the latch. 

Also both the inside and outside handles link to a piece on the inside face at the bottom of the latch that has a spring in it. If that spring has come out I little bit it might cause the issue your having. You can see it with the door panel off and barrier pulled back. 

Thanks! I appreciate it.  I’ve been on other forums where everyone goes, have you used the search function before any reply……so i had to say that.

i was at a junkyard looking at a 93 regal and it looks like they made some changes from the 92’s, I have the door ripped apart, i’ll see if i can shine a light in there and see if that came loose. Thanks again.  Hopefully i can dig my hand in there and see what I can do.

Appreciate the help!!!!