Help deciding on a car!

rcLord510

Hey guys, I haven’t ever posted on here I don’t think, so I figure I should introduce myself. My names aiden, and I’m about get my first car within the next couple months here. I’m actually the son of a member on this site from years back(2003ish?) and so he’s kinda shown me how cool these cars are. Right now the two I’m looking at are a 97-01 gtp, or a 88-91 cutlass(I would go later if it’s not a sedan) now between these two I’m not sure. Tbh I’m really leaning towards the cutlass. My dads is so sweet, and with the international conversion he did it’s even sweeter. Now I have a few debates, one being that finding a 90 or 91 sedan is gonna be a challenge, let alone an international(although I’m entirely willing to convert as well) another is that with the cutlass, I would end up swapping an L67 in, especially with someone I know having already done it, it shouldn’t be too hard. However with the gtp, it’s already got it in there. Plus it’s a safer car since it’s a newer car with airbags and all of that. Those are my 3 problems with deciding right now. Although the Grand Prix is the logical option, over the years being around a cutlass that long, and it always being my favorite car, I think that’s what I want to go with. But let me hear y’all’s opinion on it(also with where to find those rare cars) thank you guys!

• Like 2

Welcome to the site! It's good to see a teenager interested in these cars. I started off with a CSC back in 2008. Very fun and cool car. Finding parts for an early International these days isn't easy. Finding one for sale that is in good shape is even harder but not impossible. I've recently seen some for sale. 

I currently have a GTP that I've owned for a decade now. I still like that car as much as the day I bought it. Lot's of mods and upgrades available for those cars which makes them more fun in my opinion. 

Since you are asking for advice, and I have experience in both cars. I would say find a nice GTP. It's newer, safer, more reliable, easier to get parts for, and has a lot of aftermarket support still. Not many cars do that are 25 years old. 

Finding parts for a 35 year old International CS would be possible still, but it is going to be harder. 

I assume this is going to be a DD? If so I would seriously recommend a GTP. The brakes are much better than those found on any early 1st gen w-body. At least in my experience my GTP brakes are great. 

As for finding these cars, check local listings like on facebook or craigslist. Sometimes national sites like Autotrader or cars.com will have nice ones. IAAI.com will sometimes have decent ones for sale. You may have to travel or have one shipped. These cars aren't as plentiful as they used to be. Even 2nd gen GTPs are hard to come by now. Those used to be everywhere too. 

At the end of the day buy whatever car you like the most. 

Edited by 94 olds vert

35 minutes ago, 94 olds vert said:

Welcome to the site! It's good to see a teenager interested in these cars. I started off with a CSC back in 2008. Very fun and cool car. Finding parts for an early International these days isn't easy. Finding one for sale that is in good shape is even harder but not impossible. I've recently seen some for sale. 

I currently have a GTP that I've owned for a decade now. I still like that car as much as the day I bought it. Lot's of mods and upgrades available for those cars which makes them more fun in my opinion. 

Since you are asking for advice, and I have experience in both cars. I would say find a nice GTP. It's newer, safer, more reliable, easier to get parts for, and has a lot of aftermarket support still. Not many cars do that are 25 years old. 

Finding parts for a 35 year old International CS would be possible still, but it is going to be harder. 

I assume this is going to be a DD? If so I would seriously recommend a GTP. The brakes are much better than those found on any early 1st gen w-body. At least in my experience my GTP brakes are great. 

As for finding these cars, check local listings like on facebook or craigslist. Sometimes national sites like Autotrader or cars.com will have nice ones. IAAI.com will sometimes have decent ones for sale. You may have to travel or have one shipped. These cars aren't as plentiful as they used to be. Even 2nd gen GTPs are hard to come by now. Those used to be everywhere too. 

At the end of the day buy whatever car you like the most. 

Yeah I’ll think about it, not sure what DD means(double down?) but either way. Yeah idk I really like the cutlass but the gtp is definitely a safer and probably a little more reliable car, I’ll really have to think on it 

2 minutes ago, Cutlasslover18 said:

Yeah I’ll think about it, not sure what DD means(double down?) but either way. Yeah idk I really like the cutlass but the gtp is definitely a safer and probably a little more reliable car, I’ll really have to think on it 

Dd= Daily driver 

Welcome!

As an owner of a 91 International Series Cutlass Supreme coupe, I can tell you that finding parts for one is going to be a challenge.  I've spent about 7-8 years collecting parts for it's restoration and I think I might have bought up most, if not all of the NOS parts left in inventory and collections.  Now, my car was pretty much dead when I found it but that doesn't make a difference really when it comes to certain things.

If you're worried about parts availability, go with the later gen GTP.  First gen stuff is really tough to find now.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, jiggity76 said:

Welcome!

As an owner of a 91 International Series Cutlass Supreme coupe, I can tell you that finding parts for one is going to be a challenge.  I've spent about 7-8 years collecting parts for it's restoration and I think I might have bought up most, if not all of the NOS parts left in inventory and collections.  Now, my car was pretty much dead when I found it but that doesn't make a difference really when it comes to certain things.

If you're worried about parts availability, go with the later gen GTP.  First gen stuff is really tough to find now.

Yeah, I’m not super worried about parts, because I’d like to find a international car stock, but yeah even just finding regular parts will be hard I guess, I still do really want a 91 thougj

13 minutes ago, Cutlasslover18 said:

Yeah, I’m not super worried about parts, because I’d like to find a international car stock, but yeah even just finding regular parts will be hard I guess, I still do really want a 91 thougj

Regular parts aren't that hard to find really.  It's things like emblems, AQ9 seat controls, the correct alloys...anything that will need to be replaced or reconditioned specifically for an International Series car, that will be the challenge.  Then if it's optioned with HUD or CD, illuminated entry, things like that and if you want to keep it nice or original and not let it go by the wayside, again...might be a challenge.  If you don't care about that at all, then just drive it and enjoy!

If you're worried about originality and correctness, just off the top of my head, the alloys, generator cooling system, (LQ1 only), and HUD optioned digital dash...those are all one year only items or within just a few years.

Edited by jiggity76

2 hours ago, jiggity76 said:

Regular parts aren't that hard to find really.  It's things like emblems, AQ9 seat controls, the correct alloys...anything that will need to be replaced or reconditioned specifically for an International Series car, that will be the challenge.  Then if it's optioned with HUD or CD, illuminated entry, things like that and if you want to keep it nice or original and not let it go by the wayside, again...might be a challenge.  If you don't care about that at all, then just drive it and enjoy!

If you're worried about originality and correctness, just off the top of my head, the alloys, generator cooling system, (LQ1 only), and HUD optioned digital dash...those are all one year only items or within just a few years.

Yeah the wheels are absolutely the biggest for me, there’s a guy who’s willing to sell me a pair for 350, but he lives farther away so I don’t wanna risk that their damnaged for $350. Pictures can only show so much, so I’m trying to figure out where I can find some decent shape ones

If you do settle on a CS, search for 2. You are going to needs a parts supply, that is assuming you have space.

You dont indicate where you are, so your biggest enemy when looking at a Gen1 W is rust.

I can find low mile CS variants.. But not so much of the International models.

https://www.copart.com/lot/40588763/clean-title-1993-oldsmobile-cutlass-supreme-s-ga-savannah

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/3867af85-1e81-4bba-96be-11fa14cc15e2/?aff=atempest&CMP=atempest&utm_source=AutoTempest&utm_medium=TRP&utm_campaign=atempest

https://skagit.craigslist.org/cto/d/north-lakewood-1997-oldsmobile-cutlass/7640581205.html

None are Internationals....

www.autotempest.com is your friend!

All that being said.... I would go with a Pontiac. But as you can tell from my Signature below, I am also biased.

Edited by pontiac6ksteawd
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pontiac6ksteawd said:

If you do settle on a CS, search for 2. You are going to needs a parts supply, that is assuming you have space.

You dont indicate where you are, so your biggest enemy when looking at a Gen1 W is rust.

I can find low mile CS variants.. But not so much of the International models.

https://www.copart.com/lot/40588763/clean-title-1993-oldsmobile-cutlass-supreme-s-ga-savannah

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/3867af85-1e81-4bba-96be-11fa14cc15e2/?aff=atempest&CMP=atempest&utm_source=AutoTempest&utm_medium=TRP&utm_campaign=atempest

https://skagit.craigslist.org/cto/d/north-lakewood-1997-oldsmobile-cutlass/7640581205.html

None are Internationals....

www.autotempest.com is your friend!

All that being said.... I would go with a Pontiac. But as you can tell from my Signature below, I am also biased.

For sure the best thing I ever did was buy 2 rusty International Series parts cars.  Just in hardware alone...they were excellent and saved me so much time and money.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

You will be hard pressed to find another 91 in that condition right there. $3k is a bit steep though if its got ECU problems.

• 2 weeks later...