Removing/disabling aftermarket anti-theft system.

rich_e777

`89 TGP, it came with a Pursuit anti-theft system that doesn't disarm correctly and is driving me and the neighbors mad. Ive pulled the horn fuse but I`d like to just remove the system from the car completely. I`m waiting on the FSM but its ETA`d about 2 weeks out and I dont know a thing about these systems or what to look for to remove them.

Any advice, opinions or groans of anguish because you heard it too at 2:30AM before I got to it at 4:00?

Edited by rich_e777

Look for the ball of wires under the dash and chase them back to whatever module that system has. unplug it and see what happens.

I mean back in the day there were more fancy ones that got more complex, but 90% of them were really simple.

Worst case it interrupts the ignition, but thats likely just a relay that the installer put between the heavy yellow wire off the ignition switch, splice that back together and move on.

• 3 weeks later...

I've removed one before from my 88.  It was super simple.  They tapped into 12+ Hot always, 12+ key on, ground, maybe an ignition signal wire, and the signal light wires.   

As Chris said, just have to chase the wiring from the box and splice any wires back together.  Should be easy enough!  

If you're ok soldering wires back together, it's probably easier to remove than you'd think. The big wad of wiring that usually accompanies those things can look intimidating, but if you look at it, it is generally becomes pretty easy to tell what wires are factory and what is the alarm/remote start garbage.