New TGP owner here

Jaywags

Just picked up this beauty. she's been sitting for about 6 years, she does start, runs and drives but will need some tlc. Super excited to get her on the road again.

image.jpeg

IMG_6759.JPG

IMG_6760.JPG

IMG_6762.JPG

IMG_6736.JPG

IMG_6737.JPG

IMG_6746.JPG

IMG_6749.JPG

IMG_6750.JPG

IMG_6757.JPG

IMG_6753.JPG

Edited by Jaywags

27 minutes ago, Bake82 said:

Looks like a solid start!  How's the underside of the car? 

Surprisingly good considering its from Michigan, under body is mint, just subframe and control arm rust... typical. Body has a rust hole on the passenger rear quarter panel.. looks good otherwise..

IMG_6768.JPG

IMG_6767.JPG

• Sad 1

Nice score on the TGP! low mileage!  Theryre one of the few wbodys that hold value and are considered a collector.   If you get some moisture into those seats quick they might just hang in there.  Check your trailing arm mounts before you go for a rip.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GTP091 said:

Nice score on the TGP! low mileage!  Theryre one of the few wbodys that hold value and are considered a collector.   If you get some moisture into those seats quick they might just hang in there.  Check your trailing arm mounts before you go for a rip.

For sure, I'm going to go through everything before she hits the road

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 94 olds vert said:

Welcome to the site! That looks like a great project car! Keep us updated with pictures. Don't see many TGPs around here any more. 

Thank you, I definitely will..

• Like 1

Nice find! What a time machine.

Ive got a rust spot in the same area as you have on a similar car and found it to be the antenna mast leaking down vs the inner wheel well eating through. I have not had a shop quote mine to know roughly what it`d cost to have it pro repaired. 

1 minute ago, rich_e777 said:

Nice find! What a time machine.

Ive got a rust spot in the same area as you have on a similar car and found it to be the antenna mast leaking down vs the inner wheel well eating through. I have not had a shop quote mine to know roughly what it`d cost to have it pro repaired. 

Thanks, definitely need to get that spot repaired… didn’t even think about the antenna causing the leak..makes total sense.. thanks for that!

12 minutes ago, Jaywags said:

Thanks, definitely need to get that spot repaired… didn’t even think about the antenna causing the leak..makes total sense.. thanks for that!

That is a very typical spot for these cars to rust out. Being a MI car that doesn't surprise me for there to be rust in that area. It is repairable, I had a shop repair rust on my old car in that exact same location. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, 94 olds vert said:

That is a very typical spot for these cars to rust out. Being a MI car that doesn't surprise me for there to be rust in that area. It is repairable, I had a shop repair rust on my old car in that exact same location. 

How terrible was the price?

1 hour ago, 94 olds vert said:

That was over a decade ago and the repair was less than $500. 

Lol… so just quadruple that for todays cost… 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

Had to pick the pad lock… previous owner forgot the combination… lol I reset it to 000… 🤷‍♂️unfortunately no treasures but the fact that the fuses are still intact with original tape… I’ll take it… 😊

C56C81BE-079D-4981-B34C-E0AFDE64ED55.jpeg

60394314-8F34-4F3F-9092-E85DD270CC2D.jpeg

D2496444-6449-44F7-B9ED-5D17734BF6AB.jpeg

If you could find the B4U lower valence that would really set the car off right.  Has been a long time since I’ve seen one in even ok condition at the jy. They’re made of the rarest unobtanium on the planet.   I bought a brand new one from the dealer in 01’ on clearout from GM they said it was the last one in western Canada at the time.  Got it for under 200. Then they told me on the phone that it was lost in transit and offered a refund. I said let’s wait and they called week later, it showed up… or it was there the whole time and they just found it.

You might get lucky being you're in the US. If you go to the dealer with your VIN they can print off the build sheet for your exact ride that will list all the options. Ask for the part number for the clip while you’re there.  One of the few receipts for my car I do t have so can’t help you out there.

Edited by GTP091
  • Like 2

On 3/21/2023 at 6:42 PM, Jaywags said:

Make sure the drain tube is hooked up properly and that it's actually down into the trunk floors drain hole...if it's still there and the rust hasn't made it disappear.  This tube takes water from the mast and directs it thru the tube, thru the trunk floor, and onto the ground.

Beautiful Turbo!  Black is more rare than the Red cars and it having CD is awesome!  CD units are rare on any early GP really.

10 hours ago, GTP091 said:

If you could find the B4U lower valence that would really set the car off right.  Has been a long time since I’ve seen one in even ok condition at the jy. They’re made of the rarest unobtanium on the planet.   I bought a brand new one from the dealer in 01’ on clearout from GM they said it was the last one in western Canada at the time.  Got it for under 200. Then they told me on the phone that it was lost in transit and offered a refund. I said let’s wait and they called week later, it showed up… or it was there the whole time and they just found it.

You might get lucky being you're in the US. If you go to the dealer with your VIN they can print off the build sheet for your exact ride that will list all the options. Ask for the part number for the clip while you’re there.  One of the few receipts for my car I do t have so can’t help you out there.

Very good information!  Let's not forget about the RPO code label in the trunk though.

1 hour ago, jiggity76 said:

Make sure the drain tube is hooked up properly and that it's actually down into the trunk floors drain hole...if it's still there and the rust hasn't made it disappear.  This tube takes water from the mast and directs it thru the tube, thru the trunk floor, and onto the ground.

Beautiful Turbo!  Black is more rare than the Red cars and it having CD is awesome!  CD units are rare on any early GP really.

Thank you!! Sunroof seal was swollen, so that was probably the issue, it wouldn’t close all the way.. speaking of sunroof… I need a new seal too… another part that discontinued. Only option I have is to source a new glass with a good seal…

7 minutes ago, Jaywags said:

Thank you!! Sunroof seal was swollen, so that was probably the issue, it wouldn’t close all the way.. speaking of sunroof… I need a new seal too… another part that discontinued. Only option I have is to source a new glass with a good seal…

No problem.  Just to be clear, I was talking about the drain tube for your antenna mast, the area there in the trunk floor and quarter panel being crusty.

The sunroof drain tubes will come from the sunroof, down the sides of the B pillars and into the floor pan.  Again, there will be a hole in the floor pan where the tube goes thru and exits out into the quarter panel cavity ahead of the rear wheels.  You can pull off those black pressure release covers that you see when you open the doors and look down into that cavity.  You can check to see if the quarters look ok.  Here's my International for reference.

1640952422_20191224_1059191.jpg.ec0d4cd35697c9dae80b6d19ecf01463.jpg487903410_20191224_1059401.jpg.2e6ca4e28858997629f6dbe5e9a2d7b0.jpg854755095_20191224_1059111.jpg.2b73570dae93fcd3e627daf099af3645.jpg

19 minutes ago, jiggity76 said:

No problem.  Just to be clear, I was talking about the drain tube for your antenna mast, the area there in the trunk floor and quarter panel being crusty.

The sunroof drain tubes will come from the sunroof, down the sides of the B pillars and into the floor pan.  Again, there will be a hole in the floor pan where the tube goes thru and exits out into the quarter panel cavity ahead of the rear wheels.  You can pull off those black pressure release covers that you see when you open the doors and look down into that cavity.  You can check to see if the quarters look ok.  Here's my International for reference.

1640952422_20191224_1059191.jpg.ec0d4cd35697c9dae80b6d19ecf01463.jpg487903410_20191224_1059401.jpg.2e6ca4e28858997629f6dbe5e9a2d7b0.jpg854755095_20191224_1059111.jpg.2b73570dae93fcd3e627daf099af3645.jpg

Ahhh, ok, yes, I’ll need to check that out… I saw a tube but thought it might had been for the sunroof, again, thank you so much for info..

22 minutes ago, Jaywags said:

Ahhh, ok, yes, I’ll need to check that out… I saw a tube but thought it might had been for the sunroof, again, thank you so much for info..

No problem.

I need to make a correction after looking at my own pics, LOL.  Those sunroof drain tubes don't go down to the floor pan obviously.  They go down into the top of the quarter panel inner structure right next to the bottom of the quarter window glass and THEN they do down into the quarter panel cavity.  My bad.

• 2 weeks later...

In case you need a new power antenna, I bought part #10136712 to replace mine that had stripped out gears. It was an exact fit and plug in for my 1990 GP Turbo.