*UPDATE* Serious IDLE problem...

92turboLE

Ok, so this started yesterday with the prix. When i would start the car, it would idle at about 1300-1600 abnd would not go down, consiquently throwing a code for "abnormal idle". Well i could handle that, i would put it in gear and everything would be dandy. Well this morning the situation progressed and got worse. It still does the high idle, but now when in gear at idle, it farts. The RPMs would drop to about 300-600 then shoot right back up. It would only blip like that, but does it about every 4 seconds on average - really sparatically actually. it gets worse when i take my foot off the brake and let it idle around (like through a parking lot). Also my gas milage has gone to shit... killed about 1/3 tank of gas in about 35 miles.

I suspect this to be one of 4 things or a combo of the following:

1. TPS sensor going bad

2. Coolant temp sensor going bad

3. IAC - i dunno, but just a hunch

4. stuck open injector.

I can tell that it is running rich. I get some bad hesitation while accelerating until about 3K RPMs, then it runs REALLY strong, but like i said, Gas mileage is gone to shit now.

Any help on this would be Great as i have to drive her to work tomarrow and it has been stalling sometimes at lights too and i wont really have time to deal with it until tomarrow afternoon after work.

thanks in advance

- Justin

I'm assuming the TB is clean and EGR valve is working (since no codes have been thrown)?

Remember with the colder days and the use of ethanol in gasoline, gas mileage does drop.

When was the last time a Oxygen Sensor was replaced? Check with that, let us know!

- Erik

o2 is new (like 3k miles). I was thinking intake gasket too. Im pretty sure the EGR is funtioning, but like i said, i know it is running really rich. Imm check the coolant temp sensor first as that is easy. Im kinda leaning away from the TPS as i have a Jet Power Command Module and it has the TPS display and that seems to work fine.

The injector thing is what scares me as those ARENT cheap at all.

- Justin

o2 is new (like 3k miles). I was thinking intake gasket too. Im pretty sure the EGR is funtioning, but like i said, i know it is running really rich. Imm check the coolant temp sensor first as that is easy. Im kinda leaning away from the TPS as i have a Jet Power Command Module and it has the TPS display and that seems to work fine.

The injector thing is what scares me as those ARENT cheap at all.

- Justin

Injectors go for cheap on ebay a lot, and if you get a used one, then get all 6 of yours flow balanced, you'll be set

i hate stupid sensors. Everything you listed that could be causing your car to run like shit are all sensors. They do nothing but make prices go up and give more reasons for your car to run like shit. Damn emissions. My car runs like shit when i get teh SES light, the code is Powertrain Diagnostic TRouble coades available in another module. Whatever that means it doesnt like it when i press the gas to hard. Sometimes them sensors and crap piss me off.

Injectors go for cheap on ebay a lot, and if you get a used one, then get all 6 of yours flow balanced, you'll be set

but the problem is that doesnt help me today. I know they come be baught cheap, but i cant afford to wait... 3 days of this and i will have used the cost of new injectors, in gas alone...

maybe i can get a used one in there for a temp solution until the weekend or something... assuming that is the issue

- Justin

I would go ahead and clean the TB and remove the IAC and clean the area where the IAC goes in. You'll have this IDLE problem during cold weather because of those gunk.

Do an IDLE-Relearn afterwards.

yeah, the more i think about it, the more i think it might be the IAC too, the thing is, I used a can of that BG Intake System Cleaner, that did an awesome job on the TB and most of ther intyake, but i didnt clean the IAC itself... could that spray cleaner have cause uild up in the IAC?

the funny thing is that i used the cleaner likw a week ago, maybe more and the problem just started 2 days ago.

If i take the IAC out to clean it, will i need a new gasket or anything like that???

- Justin

Normally, you don't have to replace the o-ring on the IAC when you clean but just make sure you don't nick the o-ring when you clean it.

If you need o-ring, you might want to visit this site for the o-rings http://order.harborfreight.com:9100/EasyAsk/harborfreight/results.jsp

I would get this instead http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=31677

VACCUM LEAK!!!!

found the fucker, i hope... I talked to my brother and he told me it sounds like a vacume leak cuz of the high RPM at idle and sputtering under load.

Im going to get some carb cleaner and spray it around the engine when its idling... if there is a leak, the carb clean should get into sed leak and raise the RPMs a tiny bit.... I hope it works, wish me luck

If not, im fucked and dont know what to do other then clean everything and check injectors and fuel pressure.

- Justin

ok, well i figured out what it was... i had removed my pillar pod to add a third pillar to it and in the meanwhile, i put a large screw in the vaccume line to block it and that is what is leaking. i think... i had to play with the line and move it around when i did the alarm setup and the probles started after the alarm install so i assume that is the problem.

- Justin

I'm having the same problem, and it is a vaccuum leak... the mechanic who 'fixed it' didn't really fix it, dammit... I think i mostly fixed it myself, but i still have a little bit of stuff and its still throwing the SES light, i'm going to check it tomorrow in auto tech. I was getting 7 mpg last time i drove it... freaking ridiculous. It kept stalling when putting it in gear, too.

ok, so after careful investigation and completey ripping apart all my vaccume lines, i discovered that the problem was simple (and i made it hard) I had mentioned that the vaccume line for my gauges might have been leaking, well it wasnt where i thaught it was, and for some reason didnt even bother to think that the EGR likes to melt rubber hose. "DOH!!!!!"

so i checked EVERY freaking vaccume line in the car, then by accident discovered the burnt line when i grabbed it to move it to check another line. I felt something funny and there it was, a nice big hole and a nice chunk of burnt rubber on the EGR... the hole was about the size of the diamiter of the pointy part of a golf tee. With a little heat shrink tubing, some duct tape and some wire ties to hold it off the EGR, i have a temp fix until i get some new lines....

Unfortunately the car is still idleing HIGH, but not ass high now... the stalling and stumbling has gone away and i have recovered my gas mileage.

thanks for the help and suggestions everyone

- Justin