Question: LQ-1 Exhaust 1994 Cutlass Supreme

bluecalais79

Quick question, if I can get the tip customized, can I use the 3.1 Wagner resonator/pipe that runs from behind the cat and have a Y pipe welded on that will then route to the 2 mufflers?

I have the NOS left side muffler, but at this point I waited too long to buy all this stuff, no RH will be available, and the AP Mufflers 700444 and 700355 are no longer being sold. I needed to go custom anyway since I'm getting the ADDCO 474 rear sway bar installed and the exhaust/mufflers would have needed to have been modified for clearance to fit that bar. 

I can still get a Wagner resonator for the 3.1 motor and if this somehow can be used, things will be a heck of alot easier the rest of the way.

Thanks one and all, and if anyone would know what mufflers I can get that would be great. I would much to prefer to get the 2 dual tips, if that can be done.

Edited by bluecalais79
spelling

Why would you want to restrict the larger engine with the smaller engines exhaust tubing?

What I would suggest is a Magnaflow cat 2.5 in 2.5 out, 2.5 tubing back to the split under the rear suspension (if you wish you can add a resonator in that length pipe alongside the fuel tank to calm down the noise ...I did), from there you can still use 2" tubing into the mufflers. You won't see a loss of cfm by using 2" dia pipe at the rear seeing as a pair of 2" pipes flow more cfm than a single 2.5" dia pipe.

As for the tips.......

try these.....I DID custom weld them to a pair of dog-legs that exit the mufflers up under the chassis

GP Tailpipes closeup.jpeg

Edited by 55trucker

If memory serves the Supremes were not fitted with polished tailpipe tips, the tubing was the same 409 stainless that the mufflers were made from & the aftermarket mufflers included the welded on exhaust tip. As far as I know the inner ports at the back end of both mufflers were dummies like the GP mufflers were.

You are correct, those dual tips are black, I'm wondering about the feasibility of cutting them off, repainting them and re-welding them onto whatever I buy. Probably too much trouble and this car is a driver so I won't be waiting too long to get something done. I sure wish I had bought  the AP 700444 and 700355 when they were available.

From a personal standpoint I wouldn't even bother with the OEM replacement Supreme mufflers, they were huge, a gigantic 7x9 shell, and I'm reasonably sure the inner rear ports were non functional (dummies).

I'd just get a pair of the GP (non GTP) left side small muffler (or equivalent) & fit those under the car, pick up a pair of short S-bends (dog-legs), fit a pair of tips onto the ends, weld those to the outlet ends of the mufflers, add a resonator upstream.  

I'm not suggesting that you need to do what I did (18 years ago),  but this arrangement works well and sounds decent (not loud, no braaappp)

Pontiac exhaust.jpg

As in your photo, this set up looks like it would be great for my car too, and the LH GP's are still available, so it's good to go with the smaller LH muffler on that RH side and call it a day.

I'll work on getting fake dual tips, but if not no biggie, the ship has long sailed away for OEM on this stuff

At the time I redid the exhaust I purchased Maremont general purpose mufflers, Maremont no longer exists, your only avenue for AN OEM style muffler would be AP. 

Both of what you see are 13" shell, 2" in/2" out, inlet offset, outlet centred, back then stainless was a just a dream. Seeing as I have the old paper catalogs from both Walker & Maremont I had to search the listings by *size* & find a muffler number that would do what I wanted.

Below is the weblink to AP's online catalog for entire systems.

https://showmetheexhaust.com/

If you're just looking for a decent aluminized OEM style muffler what you can consider is the AP 3779 *Enforcer* series muffler. It's the same as the Maremonts under my car.

They're cheap, plentiful ....

you can find it at Rockauto for approx $19 US.