1996 GP - Left (drivers) rear wheel speed sensor - how to replace?

quakerj

I finally bought a decent scanner that will pull ABS codes so I can get that light off the dash finally.  I'm coming up with a driver's side rear wheel speed sensor circuit open/shorted if I remember correctly.

I was going to blindly order one (assuming it was cheap) so I can have it on hand when I decide to do the repair...  but I can't find any such thing.  Nobody sells it, so I assume perhaps the sensor is integrated into the hub, and I have to buy/replace the whole hub?  That would stink.

What am I looking at for repair here?

Oh you just have the back hubs to change out. Easy 4 beer job and you have a good opportunity to check everything else in the rear suspension. Do it right and do both sides. 

IIRC you can get to the rear hubs once you get the brake rotors off, 3 or 4 bolts and you might have to use a hammer to knock it off.

Edited by rich_e777

31 minutes ago, rich_e777 said:

Oh you just have the back hubs to change out. Easy 4 beer job and you have a good opportunity to check everything else in the rear suspension. Do it right and do both sides. 

IIRC you can get to the rear hubs once you get the brake rotors off, 3 or 4 bolts and you might have to use a hammer to knock it off.

Ha, therein lies the problem.  This car is a rust bucket underneath the rear end for some reason.  Body, floorpans, etc. is beautiful, so is under the front end.  But I have a lot of work to do on the back, and a hub replacement will be a real chore.  Was hoping I could replace the ABS sensor and do the rest when I'm ready.

I already have all the parts to redo nearly the entire front and rear suspension, but with winter approaching, it's going to be a springtime project, so the hub will have to wait till then when I can do it all at the same time.  I've going to have to do some welding and strengthening in places due to the amount of rust especially where the rear sway bar / trailing arms attach.  It's not too far gone, but I don't want it to get there.

Not a daily driver by any means, my plan is to semi restore it and put a 3.8L L67 in it in the not too distant future.  I just built a 30x50 workshop with a 2-post lift, so I can finally dedicate some time to this project.

Yeah, they're pretty easy.  You can get to the 4 bolts after removing the rotors. Worst thing is getting the old ones separated since they're rusty.  Mine were pretty stuck on there, but a chisel and a map gas torch freed them up 

Edited by pwmin