3 versions? Strut Tower Brace for the Cutlass Supreme Convertibles

bluecalais79

I know the 3.1 strut tower brace differs from the 3.4 but for the 3.4's there were actually 2 versions? One is the familiar straight square bar, but was there another 3.4 bar with 2 extra bends in it to contour it around the intake manifold? That version just doesn't look like it would clear the spark plugs, etc.

Has anyone ever seen one of these on a car? I never have. With those extra bends it would seem like it would not be as effective as the straight one(?)

Edited by bluecalais79

Thats what I have on both my Supremes, it clears the LQ1 just fine but its tight like everything else in the engine bay. Its meant to fit that particular engine manifold but they go right over a 3100 as well easy. I dont think one design is any better than the other until you get into drifting or auto-xing and frankly there are better cars for that.

Agreed 100%, looks like it will be a tight fit but I think it will be fine. The seller on e-bay I am getting this from was quite knowledgeable about these cars, so I think I'm in good hands with this transaction.

IMHO, these FSTB's make a noticeable difference/improvement in handling when put on a 2 door coupe when the car had none. I really think GM should have offered them as an extra cost option as opposed to just having them on convertibles only. Even placing that 3.4 bar on my 3.1 1996 CS helped it. 

And I've had these 2 cars judged at both OCA Nationals and AACA Regionals and none of the judges noticed the bars. Until I told them.