99 monte carlo 3.1 wont hold charge.

michael33n

Purchased and it wouldn't run unless jumper cables were attached. Had it holding charge for two days now it will drain battery but if I give it gas it goes up a few specs then drains again. Guy put new alternator new battery new belt on and a few wires under the fuse block.  I plan on having the alternator tested today if I can make it there. I have a multimeter so any ideas would help and be appreciated 

What is the battery open-circuit (no-load) voltage?  A fully-charged battery will show 12.6--12.7 volts.

What is the charging voltage when the engine runs?  Typically, a GM will show 14+ volts at the alternator output stud, with the ground for the meter touching the alternator housing.

Loose/corroded battery cables, and/or defective cables are a strong possibility.  Cables are known to corrode under the insulation leaving almost no copper "conductor" in place.  But it looks fine from the outside.  Voltage-drop testing can find those problems.

Starter Voltage Drop Testing.JPG

Alternator Voltage Drop Test.JPG