Front Tweeters in 1993 Lumina Z34

RPE1992GPSE

I was looking into the possibility of adding component tweeters to the speaker wells underneath the front dash speaker covers.  For clarity, it is a non-Bose equipped car.  It will be a tight fit.  Has anyone done this with any success?  Thanks.

without door speakers that's going to be a challenge, the existing spots in the dash are so shallow it limits the use of speakers that are the right size

I have replacement 4x6" speakers installed already and I have some Delco component tweeters I removed from a Grand Am/Grand Prix.  The tweeters are pretty small, but again, the fit is tight and the speaker cover mounts take up a good portion of the well.  :think:

I have put 4” components in the dash of my GTP.  Had to make a custom mount for them; basically a 4x6 plate with holes for the 4” speaker and 1” tweeter,  Also have 6” components in the doors, again with a custom mount.  Your lumina should have 4X6s in the dash.

if your trying to stuff 4X6s and the tweeters into your dash it won’t fit. Also will be difficult to wire in a standalone set of tweeters if you don’t have the original crossover. Is your system stock or amplified?

The system is stock but it will be amplified in the future.  I have the inline crossovers for the tweeters.  I don't believe I will need them, however.  The plan is to retrofit a Monsoon amplifier from a Camaro into the car.  The front tweeters are amplified in that configuration, so a passive crossover shouldn't be necessary.

I was in the car audio industry for 10 years in my younger days.  I’d strongly suggest you use the crossovers on those tweeters.  If you don’t, you’ll be sending full range to them and they will go pop.  They cant handle any low or midrange frequencies,  they’ll also sound much better with the crossovers.  Good place to stuff the crossovers is behind the kick panels.  I would suggest Velcro and a zip tie to hold them in place.  I’ve had my crossovers there for years with no issues.  It’s easy to drop the wire down from up top when the dash pad is removed. Solder and heat shrink! 

Edited by GTP091