Oldsmobile Cutlass supreme no fuel pressure

Cdy291

Im just looking for some advice and some things to check on this car. Its a 1988 Cutless Supreme and it wouldn't start getting no fuel. I replaced the fuel pump and its still not pumping. Other than obvious things are there any other things I should check? Is there a fuel pump cut of somewhere like fords have?

Does the fuel pump have power and ground?  Will the pump run if you provide power to the fuel pump bypass wire? On my '92 and '93 Luminas, the bypass wire is a single, red wire with a grey plastic connector end.  It is next to the accessible battery-power stud near the battery, but not connected to it.  Photo shows it laying to the side of the windshield washer tank/pump, on top of the red plastic stud cover.  Cram a jumper wire into the grey connector so that it gets battery power.  Pump should run, for testing.

Lumina_Fuel_Pump_Wiring_LG_07.JPG.cfb8d4eee656854fe1e6df83d93c5c49.JPG

The fuel pump should run off of a properly-functioning fuel pump relay, OR run when the engine has oil pressure via the oil-pressure switch.  In a properly-functioning system, the pump gets power from both sources--the relay for priming, startup, and running, plus the oil pressure switch while running (but not at prime or during startup due to lack of oil pressure) Either way, the fuel pump fuse (right side of engine compartment, in the "electrical center") and fusible link (connected to the battery-power stud) have to be good, and the wire harness all the way back to the fuel tank needs to be undamaged, including the ground side.

For the record, I never replace a fuel pump until I've verified that the pump has adequate power and ground.  If the pump is suffocating from lack of power, it's not going to pump properly.

Edited by Schurkey