Fusable link for alternator in 3800?

Regal

I have a '93 Regal coupe with the 3800. It has a new battery and alternator and the voltmeter will not go above 12 and the Check Gages light indicator is lit. Negative battery cable is securely fastened to the car.

There appears to be no fuse for the alternator, but is there a fusible link related to its charging the battery? Am thinking the old alternator surged so it blew the link.

If this weren't the issue, where else should I look? Thanks guys.

There may or may not be a fusible link in the alternator output wire.  Check the service manual, or look for the splice.

Fusible links are used because they'll accept a SHORT TERM overload without melting like a fuse would.

Probably more likely that you've got corroded connections into the passenger compartment, the dash is not getting full voltage, or is not appropriately grounded.  The dash gauge shows low voltage.  Double-check at the battery terminals, and alternator output terminal.  Good voltage at the alternator/battery, but low voltage at the dash likely means trouble in the passenger compartment somewhere.

The fusible link was the problem and was temporarily replaced with a 40 amp circuit breaker that automatically resets but this does not appear to be sufficient and resets more often than I think allows for proper charging of the battery. How many amps should the fusible link be for? I was able to buy both a 12 gauge fusible link cable (don't know its max amperage) and a 50 amp circuit breaker but don't know which I'll end up using.

Edited by Regal

The alternator is rated for...what?  100+ amps?  You'd need a 100+ amp circuit breaker.

Look in the service manual, find out the fusible link gauge.  No doubt, it'll be a metric measurement which you'll have to translate into something real.

Fusible links are 4 gauge sizes smaller than the wire they're protecting.  If your car has an 8-gauge alternator output wire, you'd use a 12-gauge fusible link. 

• 2 months later...

Thanks, just seeing this now. The fusible link section of the harness where it broke there was cut out and replaced with a new one. The dealership would have replaced the whole 10 foot harness, but good luck finding that part now. The original harness was apparently routed incorrectly by some mechanic years ago when the upper radiator hose was replaced and this caused a short when the wire burned on the exhaust manifold.

Edited by Regal