Adding Rear Center Console

RPE1992GPSE

Hey everyone!  Has anyone had success adding the rear center console to a first gen W-Body?  I converted the rear bench seat to bucket seats in two Ws and I have the rear consoles.  I just don't really have any ideas on mounting them to the floor.  The cars originally equipped with the rear console had threaded studs welded to the floor.  Has anyone come up with an alternative means of mounting the console?  Thanks in advance.

PS I've been away for a bit, I don't post that much, but I am still very thankful that this site exists and there are so many other fans of these cars out there.  😊

• Like 2

On 3/17/2022 at 11:15 AM, White93z34 said:

Whatever you do, DO NOT drill or weld on the floor the fuel tank is directly under that area. 

I came here to say EXACTLY this.  When I first added a rear console to my Cutlass I decided to drill the floor.  Yah I was pretty pissed off about that when I hit the gas tank!!!!  

I ended up using JB Weld to get the brackets to the floor.  IIRC I bolted the console to the brackets, applied a little JB weld to the middle of the brackets and got it into position, and let it sit there in place until the JB weld dried.  I then removed the bolts and applied more JB weld to the brackets at the seam to ensure they wouldn't break loose.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like the JB Weld idea.  I was thinking something along those lines, but I was hoping other people would have some ideas that actually worked.  Thanks!

PS Yeah I figured drilling, etc. around the fuel tank wasn't such a "hot" idea.  🙂

My car has had rear console for 15 yrs or so, and never had an issue with the JB Weld.  It doesn't really get used a ton but I don't think you'll have any issues with this!!  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, RPE1992GrandPrixSE said:

On this same topic, has anyone noticed how much of an absolute bitch it is/was to find the rear pass-through door for a rear bucket seat conversion that's not broken (or at all)?

The one on my International is still intact.  Same goes for the one in my STE.  I guess I'm just lucky and will have to remember to be very careful with them.

I think the parts hold up well in cars that are cared for, but the ones that end up in junkyards and the back seats are covered in spilled shit, trashed by kids, etc., slim pickens there.

It took me years to find suitable parts for my conversions.  Most of the time the plastic studs that form the hinge of the cover are broken off.

A 1992 is 30 years old now, it was tricky to find these parts in good condition 15 years ago, I'm impressed that any are available now.

• Thanks 1

And I haven't been to a junkyard is close to 5 years now.  All the "good" cars are gone.  It's actually kind of depressing when I think about it.  I used to go to a local junkyard for fun, before they put their inventory online.  I rarely left empty handed.

• Like 1