What's involved with replacing rear hub/bearings?

Regal

Some months ago I used my '93 Regal coupe to tow a trailer that was probably a bit too much for the car. Soon after I've been hearing a helicopter whirring sound from that back that increases with acceleration. To replace what must be the 30 year old factory hub/bearings I've ordered new hub/bearings as RockAuto seems to be giving away Moog rears on wholesale clearance (also managed to snag some upper and lower Continental radiator hoses for like $5 also on wholesale clearance).

I've replaced an ABS hub bearing in the front before but am just curious what's involved with this job in the rear; I imagine much the same? Hopefully better than replacing the damned rear struts! Would be the same as the '89-'96 Cutlass and Grand Prix.

DSC00828II.jpg.2aef0cf833ff00f15fb0266c97902902.jpg

Edited by Regal

• Regal changed the title to What's involved with replacing rear hub/bearings?

I've changed all four hubs on my 95 Cutlass.   The rear is easier of course because of no axle to mess with.   The first hub I replaced, I had a little difficulty separating it once the bolts were removed, it had been in place for decades and was a little rusty.  I was too gentle, as I don't like to hit my own car too hard.   PB Blaster overnight and tapping didn't loosen it.   Eventually frustration set in and I got out the sledgehammer and it came apart quickly.     

(Also, this is not the only time in my life I've said "eventually frustration set in and I got out the sledgehammer and it came apart quickly")

• Like 1

Rear hubs are SIMPLE, they come off and go back on exactly like you think they would.

2nd on the service manual, its got all the info for torque specs and exploded diagrams.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 12:54 PM, Regal said:

Some months ago I used my '93 Regal coupe to tow a trailer that was probably a bit too much for the car. Soon after I've been hearing a helicopter whirring sound from that back that increases with acceleration. To replace what must be the 30 year old factory hub/bearings I've ordered new hub/bearings as RockAuto seems to be giving away Moog rears on wholesale clearance (also managed to snag some upper and lower Continental radiator hoses for like $5 also on wholesale clearance).

I've replaced an ABS hub bearing in the front before but am just curious what's involved with this job in the rear; I imagine much the same? Hopefully better than replacing the damned rear struts! Would be the same as the '89-'96 Cutlass and Grand Prix.

DSC00828II.jpg.2aef0cf833ff00f15fb0266c97902902.jpg

You don't think the front bearings hub assembly for a 2001 Grand Prix SE are on sale are they 😢 ?