3100 compatability question

David Gandy

Ok i have a 95 gp with a good 3100 engine my daughter has a 2001 malibu with a 3100 she just blew up...will the 95 g.p. engine work in the 01 malibu im sure im gonna have to swap some brackets and stuff around but just dont wanna run into something major...thanks for any and all info

Does your 95 Grand Prix have any problems?  Meaning, why don't you just give her the Grand Prix instead of doing the engine swap?     I'm just saying that because I like that generation of Grand Prix better than the Malibus.     Anyway, if you're searching the internet for info, the Malibu has a LG8 code engine and the Grand Prix is a L82.   60degreev6.com has some good info on these swaps, you'll have to look around a little.    Since the EGR stuff is different, you might want to keep the intake manifolds from the Malibu engine, but that introduces other issues.   What you're wanting to do has been done before, although often the other way around (newer engine in older car) so hopefully you can find the info you need.   Do you need to pass emissions where you live?   That might impact your decision on the EGR issue.   The 95 grand prix is OBD 1.5 and the Malibu is OBD 2.0.

• Like 1

I can't speak to any differences in the block. You may run into mounting issues, but i'm just guessing.

You'd likely need to swap over the entire top end of the engine for it to bolt up properly.