New 1.5 DIN head unit option

crazyd

Found this over on the Corvette Forum - some C5 folks are excited about having found a head unit that's single-DIN with a centrally-mounting 8.8" touchscreen display that can fit entirely behind a 1.5 DIN-height bezel. I've already converted my C5 to double-DIN, but I saw potential for the GP.

JOYING JY-HOS01N4G-2

It's an octa-core with 4GB RAM/64GB ROM and capacitive touchscreen running Android 10 with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay support, DSP w/EQ, Bluetooth 5.1, GPS, SWRC, optical outputs, 5GHz Wifi, 4G LTE, and options for DVR, TPMS and backup camera.

Our 1G W's have an extremely shallow mounting depth that has made upgrades challenging to say the least.  However with finally jettisoning the antiquated disc format from new head units, shallower mounting depths are now possible.  I've never seen a factory unit with CD, but I'm wondering how it fit.

C5s have more mounting depth than we do, but I'm still thinking this is one of the strongest possibilities yet.  Its mounting depth to the back of the display is a mere 129mm, or 5".  I have to take some measurements tonight but I think this might fit - and be the manifestation of a product I've been looking for for more than a decade!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That is kinda neat, if its not total crap it might be cool.

though for me it defeats the thing I like about the old cars, and I know i'm somewhat of a luddite so take that for what you will.

I don't want a big screen or CarPlay in my old car. Not having that sort of thing is precisely why I enjoy it.

Hell I don't want a stupid screen period I work on computers all day I don't want to constantly be surrounded. 

I got it installed last week.  Still haven't figured out how to get the door speakers to work, anyone have any suggestions?  Also have the PAC-SWI steering wheel interface but have no idea how it's supposed to connect to this thing.

2021-10-18 08.43.51.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, thats a lot bigger then I expected.

I'm guessing your car has the weird small amplifier at the base of the console that powers the dash and door speakers I know that thing was a notorious pain in the rear in years past but no idea how it was dealt with.

2 hours ago, crazyd said:

I got it installed last week.  Still haven't figured out how to get the door speakers to work, anyone have any suggestions?  Also have the PAC-SWI steering wheel interface but have no idea how it's supposed to connect to this thing.

Dave: the small *amp* & I use that word loosely....... is high impedance wired across the front speaker channels, what the front speakers get, the door speakers get as well. There is no volume control for it at all, I removed mine many many many years ago & installed a separate amp under the pass seat that is rca wired into my Alpine head unit & then to the doors speakers. Much better being able to independently control the volume to the doors myself.

NTSnGLZ.jpg.d24659e3a6cd67161e622afdd321cce1.jpg

znsbnlb.jpg.f2ba836636549243a32140d5e93e500b.jpg

Edited by 55trucker

According to the above diagram, the pink wire in the factory harness to the "amplifier" provides the power.  I am unsure which year service manual the diagram is from, however.  (Your vehicle may not have the "amplifier switch" pictured in the diagram with the white wire in the harness.)  The factory pink wire is the "remote turn on" wire (or commonly referred to as the "power antenna" wire), so the corresponding wire in the aftermarket harness should be the blue wire (or perhaps a blue wire with white tracer).

Just out of curiosity, are you using the stock speakers, or do you have aftermarket replacements?

Had some time to play around with this thing.  Other than getting the door speakers to work, it works really well...  I also got the optional TPMS kit that shows tire pressure and temperature!  Haven't wired in the backup camera yet as I haven't decided how I want to get that wiring inside the car.  Also going to rewire the sub to RCA as it doesn't work right off the rear speaker signals anymore.

5 hours ago, Amanita said:

Do you have a model number for it?

I don’t but go to Ebay and look for 1.5 DIN alpine. Sometimes you’ll find one. Also Pioneer made a 1.5 DIN and they’re on Ebay as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2021 at 10:06 AM, White93z34 said:

That is kinda neat, if its not total crap it might be cool.

though for me it defeats the thing I like about the old cars, and I know i'm somewhat of a luddite so take that for what you will.

I don't want a big screen or CarPlay in my old car. Not having that sort of thing is precisely why I enjoy it.

Hell I don't want a stupid screen period I work on computers all day I don't want to constantly be surrounded. 

I'm the opposite!  I've been adding screens into cars back before it was even a thing - back when it could only be found in German flagship sedans.

This looks like a cool idea, but that screen's ginormous bezel is going to be hard to mount it entirely inside the dash bezel on most of the early W-bodies.  Looks really good in a C5 though.

I've noticed on a lot of modern cars, the screen sticking out of the dash in its own housing is actually quite common, so mounting it on the outside of the dash doesn't actually look as out of place as I might have thought 10yrs ago.  I see them like that from the factory all the time these days.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GnatGoSplat said:

I'm the opposite!  I've been adding screens into cars back before it was even a thing - back when it could only be found in German flagship sedans.

This looks like a cool idea, but that screen's ginormous bezel is going to be hard to mount it entirely inside the dash bezel on most of the early W-bodies.  Looks really good in a C5 though.

I've noticed on a lot of modern cars, the screen sticking out of the dash in its own housing is actually quite common, so mounting it on the outside of the dash doesn't actually look as out of place as I might have thought 10yrs ago.  I see them like that from the factory all the time these days.

I really don't like how the screens in modern vehicles, aren't integrated into the dash. It looks like they just stuck a screen on top of the center stack and called it a day. I guess, it is better than looking down and taking your attention away from the road. On the other hand it could be even more distracting since the screen is higher up and easy to look at it. Not sure which is worse/better. Seems like the BMWs are mounted very high. I always notice them when driving around. 

2021 BMW 5 Series Interior Review | The mature choice

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 94 olds vert said:

I really don't like how the screens in modern vehicles, aren't integrated into the dash. It looks like they just stuck a screen on top of the center stack and called it a day. I guess, it is better than looking down and taking your attention away from the road. On the other hand it could be even more distracting since the screen is higher up and easy to look at it. Not sure which is worse/better. Seems like the BMWs are mounted very high. I always notice them when driving around. 

2021 BMW 5 Series Interior Review | The mature choice

Agreed.  I prefer the integrated type, kind of like this.

Hyundai-Motor-Group-Develops-a-High-end-

This is also why I always thought the 88-94 Cutlass dash actually ends up looking more current than the 95-97, if you put a screen in it.

Seems like integrated is going out of style though.

2021-Chevrolet-Tahoe-infotainment.jpg&q=

2021-Toyota-Corolla-infotainment-system-

529158.jpg

This setup actually resembles that aftermarket HU a lot.

skoda-kushaq-infotainment-system5.jpeg

These days, a screen mounted on the outside looks just as OEM as real OEM screens.

Oh yeah, and then there's the Tesla 3/Y dash where the infotainment literally looks like a PC monitor mounted on the dash.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 1:14 PM, GnatGoSplat said:

I'll even halfway agree with you on that. Though my opinion then and now have changed. I think at least to me as the cars have gotten older I've been moving back to older head units. The old Pioneer stuff with the PBUS are great. I have one of those in my Z34 with an Aux cable installed. I think just in general I'm just tired of being surrounded by LCDs at this juncture in life.

I'd also argue that not having that stuff allows a vehicle to age better. I cannot imagine how terrible a 2001 vintage factory nav system in my Seville would be now, but it doesn't have that option so it worked out ultimately. Lets not even get started on modern cars with the tablets hot glued to the top of dashbaords.

But I'm probably getting way off in the weeds at this point, old man yells at clouds and such.

How's the unit actually work and function??

Haven't had much of an opportunity to play with this unit yet, because my right-side hood louver is broken and I've had to park the car until I can replace it.  Word to the wise, if you have hood-louvers, never let the hood slam shut.

• 1 year later...