1995 Regal GS L27

95BuickRegalGS

I have a 95 regal gs. seems this is a unique motor? its the last year of 3800 series L27 before series 2. seems  i have rods 359 casting? Possibly a  crank that was used in series two? its as if motor is series one with a few parts from the series two? i have obd1 but a 12 pin plug with B pin removed also. any info on any of this would be apprenticed.

Thanks in advance 

I don't think there's anything unique about a '95 L27 in particular vs. the previous year models. That 12 pin connector is normal( so is a 16 pin OBD-II style connector in that year, but the car would still be OBD-I even if it had one of those).

On 5/25/2021 at 2:39 PM, 95BuickRegalGS said:

i have obd1 but a 12 pin plug with B pin removed also. any info on any of this would be apprenticed.

11 hours ago, mfewtrail said:

That 12 pin connector is normal( so is a 16 pin OBD-II style connector in that year, but the car would still be OBD-I even if it had one of those).

Doesn't make any difference,  A real scan tool will communicate with the computer just fine.  Use the appropriate connector, and plug in the vehicle specifics as needed.

Cheap-junk scan tools may have problems, but they're pointless no matter what.

Edited by Schurkey

This is what’s sometimes called obd1.5. It used an aldl 12pin with some quasi obd2 logic. I assembled a homebrewed cable setup at one point to work with tunerpro on a laptop and I bet it’s the same bin files because it’s the same car save the GS. All that info came from @RobertISaar from here and another forum. Are you having any drivability or other issues you’re looking to diag or are you just curious?

The mechanical itself is nothing unique though, just the PCM communication.

Edited by vipmiller803

yes i do have issues.  car sat a long time in storage before I bought. so  i have been working out bugs as i go. i have changed alot of  sensors. right now its not shifting proper.  just would be nice to use obd system to help diagnose.  thanks for info about making cord and tunerpro. think i might check into that kind of setup

On 5/27/2021 at 10:40 AM, vipmiller803 said:

This is what’s sometimes called obd1.5. It used an aldl 12pin with some quasi obd2 logic. I assembled a homebrewed cable setup at one point to work with tunerpro on a laptop and I bet it’s the same bin files because it’s the same car save the GS. All that info came from @RobertISaar from here and another forum. Are you having any drivability or other issues you’re looking to diag or are you just curious?

The mechanical itself is nothing unique though, just the PCM communication.

On 5/26/2021 at 4:58 PM, mfewtrail said:

I don't think there's anything unique about a '95 L27 in particular vs. the previous year models. That 12 pin connector is normal( so is a 16 pin OBD-II style connector in that year, but the car would still be OBD-I even if it had one of those).

i took a pic of block when i head off over weekend.  i ccx was trying too identify it with the casting #s mine are 441 in valley under balance shaft. 

I don’t see how the casting number would affect your diag process for the shifting issues. It may very well be the trans. I’d check the vacuum accumulator. One thing a scan tool (or tunerpro with the right cluster file) may help you with is reading the vehicle speed sensor and the commanded gear as live data. Ultimately, you may end up going into the trans. Given the unknown history, I wouldn’t be surprised that the reason the car sat was the shifting issues.

Do you have access to a scan tool? I can part with my cable if you want it, but it’s quite rigged up living inside a gum box. I can also give you what I have for tunerpro, but it’s not much. PM me if you’re interested.

On 5/31/2021 at 7:25 AM, vipmiller803 said:

I don’t see how the casting number would affect your diag process for the shifting issues. It may very well be the trans. I’d check the vacuum accumulator. One thing a scan tool (or tunerpro with the right cluster file) may help you with is reading the vehicle speed sensor and the commanded gear as live data. Ultimately, you may end up going into the trans. Given the unknown history, I wouldn’t be surprised that the reason the car sat was the shifting issues.

Do you have access to a scan tool? I can part with my cable if you want it, but it’s quite rigged up living inside a gum box. I can also give you what I have for tunerpro, but it’s not much. PM me if you’re interested.

i took intake off too put new lower intake gaskets and fittings in it. casting #s are irrelevant i guess i was just trying to figure out what i have.  curious i guess after digging into engine. now the tranny issue.  i guess i wanted too scan car too see what was damaged when intake leaked.  im pretty sure the throttle position sensor went bad i spent alot of time testing all the sensors. throttle position sensor was not giving any readings. this might be my issue with tranny? im not sure. but they can affect one another from what i gather.  my whole engine got sprayed with antifreeze when lower intake leaked.  so it wasnt easy too pinpoint problem cause there was more than one.