Hi, I had this car given to me

95cutlassv3rt

What would be the most common donor car for any engine swap. I was thinking 3800 series 1 from a lesabre, it has the 3400 dual twin cam with a blown trans.

95 cutlass supreme convertible

received_308426297453277.jpeg

Another 3.4 DOHC!  3800 Series II/III is a common swap, but the engine mounts are different from a LeSabre than say a Grand Prix.  You'll need custom wiring, custom axles, etc.  There is a ton of information out there.  

I'm probably in the minority here but I strongly believe an original LQ1 car should STAY an LQ1 car.

Nice vert by the way!  Wish both of my W's were given to me!

The N/A 3800 is definitely not an upgrade to the 3.4, IMO, but they are easier to find and find parts for. The supercharger whine of the L67/L32 is great, but the 3.4 sounds so good revving out, especially the induction noise.  3800's sound like a vacuum cleaner.  I am a fan of the LQ1 and the L67, etc. and it was cool to me back in the day to L67 swap the older GP's, but as time has gone on, now if I got another 1st Gen W, i would keep the 3.4.  

Edited by pwmin
7 hours ago, pwmin said:

The N/A 3800 is definitely not an upgrade to the 3.4, IMO, but they are easier to find and find parts for. The supercharger whine of the L67/L32 is great, but the 3.4 sounds so good revving out, especially the induction noise.  3800's sound like a vacuum cleaner.  I am a fan of the LQ1 and the L67, etc. and it was cool to me back in the day to L67 swap the older GP's, but as time has gone on, now if I got another 1st Gen W, i would keep the 3.4.  

For me, finding LQ1 parts have been pretty easy actually.  Including the infamous timing belt actuators.

oldmangrimes

Hello from another red 95 convertible owner.   I love the white interior on these (mine isn't, I always wished I would have bought one with the white interior), I hope yours is in good condition.   I've got the 3100 in mine, I drive it a few times every week and it's been many years since anybody asked me what's under the hood.   An engine swap would be fun but expensive and time consuming, and is it necessary?  Does your engine run ok?   How's the rest of the car?  How's the top?   Does it still have the white boot cover?   Rust?  Unless you're planning on making your convertible into a high-dollar show car, I'd just focus on getting it running and getting it on the road so you can drop the top and cruise around.   The red/white/white is a great color combo, I'd love to see more pictures of yours.  

95cutlassv3rt

Thank you for al the advice! I am happy to have found a community that is helpful. If I keep the LQ1, can I use a 4t60e out of a cutlass supreme that originally had a 3100? I am having a hard time making a decision on buying a used tranny for fear of getting the wrong one.

95cutlassv3rt
52 minutes ago, oldmangrimes said:

Hello from another red 95 convertible owner.   I love the white interior on these (mine isn't, I always wished I would have bought one with the white interior), I hope yours is in good condition.   I've got the 3100 in mine, I drive it a few times every week and it's been many years since anybody asked me what's under the hood.   An engine swap would be fun but expensive and time consuming, and is it necessary?  Does your engine run ok?   How's the rest of the car?  How's the top?   Does it still have the white boot cover?   Rust?  Unless you're planning on making your convertible into a high-dollar show car, I'd just focus on getting it running and getting it on the road so you can drop the top and cruise around.   The red/white/white is a great color combo, I'd love to see more pictures of yours.  

I will definitely upload more pictures as I move forward. I wish the tranny in my 2001 buick century fit in this car but it has a 3100 so I didnt want to run into any compatibility issues.

Welcome to the world of borderline antique autos!

Ive got a `95 Vert as well, 3.4 Twin Cam. JY and salvage transmissions are going to be a gamble if you can even find them. Then they`re also JY transmissions probably there because they failed or nearing that point. Do you have a professional transmission shop with a good reputation near you? If not then a retail part store rebuilt option will get you further than a JY gamble will.