Gummed up door latch.

ron350

OK this is a 96 Regal 4 door car.

My passengers front door would not open from the outside no mater how hard I pulled up on the handle. The inside door handle did open the door but just barley.

Discovered that the door latch was gummed up with old grease and dirt. Found out that the release lever that is out of sight was the problem. Used WD-40 and a rag to clean up the part of release lever I could reach. Once things were cleaned up I lubed the latch with Dow Molykote EM-30L plastic safe grease.

When you pull on the door handle the release lever lifts unlatching the door.

Regal Door Latch 005A.JPG

Picture of the latch that the locking lever holds shut

Picture with the red toothpick shows the lever that lifts up when you pull on the door handle. This was what was gummed up.

Regal Door Latch 014A.JPG

Regal Door Latch 007A.JPG

• Like 1

It is a good idea to keep the latches clean and well lubricated. As well as the door handle, and hinges. This winter, I replaced all 4 door handles on my 2006 Silverado. I replaced all the old plastic connectors for the rods as well.  I cleaned up all the old grease, and used WD-40 Gel Lube.  That made such a big difference. The doors just pop open now, with a slight touch of the handle. 

I've used Wd-40 on my door latches/handles, and hinges for years and never had an issue even living on a dusty gravel road.  I always lube them up every oil change. 

All my years of owning a GM car, I've never had a problem with the actual door latch. It is usually the handles that fail.  The only car I have never had an issue with the door handles has been my 2000 GTP. 

Edited by 94 olds vert