WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO CHECK TIMING CHAIN ON 2.8 V-6 Buick Regal?

89-W-Body-Regal

I HAVE AN 89 REGAL 2.8 V-6 WITH AROUND 58000 MILES ON THE ODO. CAN YOU TELL ME WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO CHECK TIMING CHAIN SLACK ON THESE 2.8s? I don't see any visible oil leaks. People told me good maintenance and not lacking on oil changes can make them last a very long time. Let me know from your experience when is the best time? I think it was looked at around 55000 miles because I had to have the timing cover removed for a strip tensioner bolt. The place who removed the timing cover did not mention anything was wrong with the timing chain. So I assume at that mileage and well maintenance I should be good still right?

Edited by 89-W-Body-Regal

I'd probably not bother till somewhere north of 200k miles.

Chances are something else will take the car out ages and ages before the timing set goes. 

In all the years I've been around these engines I've never seen it be an issue, even on neglected engines.

No dramatic deal where checking the timing chain for slack is concerned, get on the dampener bolt with a long Johnson bar & socket, swing the bar back & forth and *feel* for the loose spot in the chain, if the chain has stretched there will be a small portion of crank movement where the crank turns but the chain doesn't move & has to catch up with the crank in either direction to apply tension & move the cam. Ideally there should be no slack.

You still having problems with that engine?

Edited by 55trucker