Door latch part number?

heineraa

Does anyone know where I can find the door latch mechanism for the driver side door of the 92 GP? I’m pretty new to repairs and I am not as well versed at determining where to find these parts.

On 12/10/2020 at 4:54 PM, rich_e777 said:

2 door or 4 door? Inside or outside?

2 door. I’m talking about the little black latch that hits the latch pin when you close the door. It seems that it’s getting stuck. I’ve tried lubricating it but it doesn’t seem to do much.

On 12/10/2020 at 6:49 PM, Regal said:

What's the problem with it? Sometimes a plastic piece that I think holds the door closed can get pushed into the wrong position and cause it not to close. Takes a lot of force to dislodge it.

The latch that hits the latch pin seems to be getting stuck. I’ve already ordered a new outside door handle to see if I can fix the problem that way. 

Define *stuck*

the latch will not move freely thru it's up & down entire range of motion unless the door handle is pulled to open. It is sprung loaded.

Edited by 55trucker

4 hours ago, 55trucker said:

Define *stuck*

the latch will not move freely thru it's up & down entire range of motion unless the door handle is pulled to open. It is sprung loaded.

My door handle showed up so I replaced it and it solved the issue. Guess the spring in the handle was worn out?

As you've seen the door handle has a return spring built into it. It keeps the handle lever flush to the bodyline of the car, there are two pull rods that travel from the lever to both the lock assembly & the door latch mechanism, the lock rod controls the door lock position & the latch rod positions the lever that controls the door latch release.

There should be no slack in the door latch rod, if one removes the lock/clip at the handle end & pull away the rod there should be small amount of tension there pushing very lightly on the latch mechanism. One adjusts the thread to remove the slack. More slack means the handle has to be pulled further to release the door latch. Too much slack & one can break the handle by pulling it up against the stop & the door doesn't necessarily open, they are fragile.

Edited by 55trucker

5 hours ago, 55trucker said:

As you've seen the door handle has a return spring built into it. It keeps the handle lever flush to the bodyline of the car, there are two pull rods that travel from the lever to both the lock assembly & the door latch mechanism, the lock rod controls the door lock position & the latch rod positions the lever that controls the door latch release.

There should be no slack in the door latch rod, if one removes the lock/clip at the handle end & pull away the rod there should be small amount of tension there pushing very lightly on the latch mechanism. One adjusts the thread to remove the slack. More slack means the handle has to be pulled further to release the door latch. Too much slack & one can break the handle by pulling it up against the stop & the door doesn't necessarily open, they are fragile.

I think that makes sense to me. Thanks for the info!