Reproduction Convertible Top Seals Initiative

jonosso

2 hours ago, ManicMechanic said:

Very sloppy welds, factory welds would have been much neater. The front fenders looked as though they were cut with a reciprocating saw and two large holes drilled for bolts. Under a cover on each front door is where they hacked off the door b-pillar and re welded it back on and it looked like a baboon was using the welder, seriously.

That's disappointing to hear. I almost wish I had not asked. I mostly like the look of the car when the top is down, but every now and then I am somewhat bothered by how the folded up top sits on the back of the car instead of presenting more flattened, streamlined appearance as vehicles designed as convertibles do. Makes me wonder how much better car could have been if a convertible variant had been designed from the ground up for assembly on the line vs the coupe conversion.

Edited by kcac
  • Like 2

I joined the Doraville Plant Facebook group and asked about all of this.  Check out this response from one of the plant workers.  This is awesome history.

02869EA3-D7A6-4D59-BB37-CB8FC1508CEE.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jonosso said:

I joined the Doraville Plant Facebook group and asked about all of this.  Check out this response from one of the plant workers.  This is awesome history.

Thanks for posting the plant worker's reply. It is very interesting. Maybe you will hear from someone who worked for Cares and Concepts (C and C) and get some information on the conversion process from their point of view.

When I bought my convertible in 2007, I thought I was buying a factory-built car that had been designed as a convertible. They still look pretty good for a conversion convertible, but from what ManicMechanic reported, there is a lot of sloppy work hidden under the trim pieces. And if Oldsmobile was losing $10,000 on every convertible, you have to wonder how much pressure C and C was under to convert the cars as fast as possible for the least amount of effort. That might account for what ManicMechanic saw.

Thanks again for sharing the worker's recollections. Sounds like  the conversion was anything but streamlined.

Edited by kcac

The Chinses company that bought out C&C would be the first step in finding out who made the seals, I thought someone there might be cool enough to look into it if I can get them on the phone. I dont have time this morning but might this weekend.

• 4 months later...

Soffseal made all three w/strip designs.  Scott Hayes done a great job of explaining the process.  Early design, 91 thru 92 had a 'butt joint' type w/strip mating connection.  Running change in late 92 began the angle type connection and 93 into 94 and 95 was the final and best design of a ball and socket type.  'A' pillar w/strip final was the one with the drain hole in the runner when standing over corner.  

The tops were made wider by approx. 1.5 inches in late 94 production to help cover the side window w/strips and aid in water leaks.

The Body in Whites were sent over three at a time on a side curtain type covered trailer that would pull alongside the dock at C&C and then put on the Flat Table to be reinforced with eventually I believe just over 100 braces of sorts. Then the top came off.

Edited by Awrench
To make clear
  • Like 3

• 2 years later...

Hello all I hope you could help me. I'm looking to purchase a 1995 Cutlass Supreme Convertible but like you have a spoken about the rear quarter trim seals are gone  totally cracked and brittle . Have had any look finding any after market seals. To replace the seals(12503936,12503937). If you could give me an update I would appreciate it. 

Thanks 

Denis 

We`re still up the creek without a paddle, 

I found a LinkIn account for a Soffseal HQ in Ohio. I`ve made a note to call them Monday during business hours and see what I can find out.

https://www.linkedin.com/company/soffseal-inc.

Fairchild Industries looks promising too.

Edited by rich_e777

12 hours ago, Denis Spencer said:

Thanks for the heads up I appreciate it.

Denis

Hi Denis.   I have not yet followed through with contacting the different manufacturers.    I need to do that. 

18 hours ago, rich_e777 said:

We`re still up the creek without a paddle, 

I found a LinkIn account for a Soffseal HQ in Ohio. I`ve made a note to call them Monday during business hours and see what I can find out.

https://www.linkedin.com/company/soffseal-inc.

Fairchild Industries looks promising too.

Let me know what you find out.  I have NOS, never-installed copies of most of the seals that can be used as templates.   I have resisted using them because I am hoping we can have them reproduced. 

Edited by jonosso

Hi Denis.   I have not yet followed through with contacting the different manufacturers.    I need to do that. 

If we can find some sort of 2d design then Fairchild might be able to help us out. I may even have a decent enough set on my car to remove and send in for the 1995 sizes. 

Another thought is to create a 3d image ourselves and send that data in and see what they come up with. Crazy K had the idea nearly 20 years ago to redesign the entire seal set from scratch which might not be a bad idea either. 

• Like 1

Let me know what you find out.  I have NOS, never-installed copies of most of the seals that can be used as templates.   I have resisted using them because I am hoping we can have them reproduced. 

What year top pieces do you have and which ones might you still need? Just a No.2 intermediate seal from the diagram pic on the 1st page?

I will post all the info I can find out. 

Edited by rich_e777

2 hours ago, rich_e777 said:

What year top pieces do you have and which ones might you still need? Just a No.2 intermediate seal from the diagram pic on the 1st page?

I will post all the info I can find out. 

I will have to go to my garage and inventory things.  I know I have NOS #1 which I figure is most critical.   I think I only have one side for NOS #2, but I imagine that is not a problem because a manufacturer could do a mirror image of the one side.  I believe I have NOS of both sides for 3 and 4.    

The 1-800 on SoffSeals Linkin takes you to the RPUI call center, while friendly the reps there could not find anything out that would help us. 

Ive also reached out to Fairchild via email and awaiting a reply. 

Well I had someone on the chatbox at Steele tell me to send them pics of the parts and inquired about the material to use. But the damn site refreshed and I lost his email. If you can lay all your parts out and send them some images they might be interested.

• Like 2