Strange PS Pump Noises

1987 GMC Jimmy

Having an issue most likely because I’ve been putting a lot of miles on the car, but it’s been a real trooper for the most part. ‘90 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3.1.

I’ve noticed a light tapping sound getting slightly worse as the weeks go on. Imagine tapping a pencil against a plastic coffee can. It’s engine speed dependent, but it’s not constant like a valve tick but only slightly erratic. My mechanic’s stethoscope revealed the noise to be predominant in the  PS pump, although I can still pick it up clearly at the water pump housing right next door to the PS pump. I pulled the belt and there was an audible rotational clunk/play. Like the shaft would lapse in it is engagement of the pump itself for only a few degrees. I’ve also noticed that when making powered turns close to full lock (I try to avoid hitting full lock and/or being too aggressive with the gas on turns), I’ll hear a very audible “woooooo!” It’s almost like a fan clutch noise. This sound is new as of a day or two ago. It kind of sounds like PS whine but higher pitched. 

I just wanted to see if anyone’s experienced this before replacing the pump. I know what steering pump whine sounds like, but this is a bit different than what I’ve experienced in the past. Car has 202K miles, and the water pump is old, but I spun it by hand and found no play, noise, and I can’t see any weeping. Using the stethoscope, I can’t hear the noise on the engine itself. 

On 7/31/2020 at 9:26 AM, 1987 GMC Jimmy said:

I pulled the belt and there was an audible rotational clunk/play. Like the shaft would lapse in it is engagement of the pump itself for only a few degrees.

Broken vane in the pump?

Replacements are fairly cheap to get you by, TurnOne Steering will rebuild your pump if you`re wantng to keep it original. Probably cheaper than OE if you can still find them.

1 hour ago, rich_e777 said:

Replacements are fairly cheap to get you by, TurnOne Steering will rebuild your pump if you`re wantng to keep it original. Probably cheaper than OE if you can still find them.

That's good to know about the TurnOne rebuildable program.  I would very much be interested in that.

$150 standard rebuild on pumps, $300 standard rebuild on racks. Customer supplies inner tie rods and boots. Saw no need to replace mine but removing them could make shipping easier. 

Corvette and uncommon part rebuilds are more. Hoping NV7 option doesn't fall into that. $75 deposit and send them in, they ship the exact parts back, no cores. No idea when mine are due back as they're back logged.