UA-65274002-1 Jump to content
94 cloisonne convertible

1994 cutlass 3100 stuck in 3rd gear.

94 cloisonne convertible

I have a 94 cutlass convertible and its stuck in 3rd gear. 

I have power going to one of the prongs on the plug into transmission.   Are any of the other one suppose to have power ?

I bought the car this way so, i dont have alot of history as to what was going on before. is it the solenoids on the trans or something else going on?     Thanks for any help..

55trucker

The easiest thing to do is to get a scanner on the powertrain to do a KOEO system check, the scanner would run thru the (4T60E) trans commands to test all sensors for response.

But...if the vehicle speed sensor fails the PCM no longer knows what the final drive assembly is doing, usually code 24 is set & third gear is forced.

A scanner is not something everyone has, you might save yourself some concern & let a trans shop do the check.

94 cloisonne convertible

I borrowed a scan tool it has a code set for the tps ( i just did replace that a day ago because the car does have a high idle usually arounf 1500 rpm.   It didnt change the idle of it.  

Also a code set for transmission temperature.

On the scan tool it showed it as a negative 40 Celsius.     Where is the temperature sensor at? Can it be accessed from the pan or is that in the side cover?   Thanks 

Edited by 94 cloisonne convertible

55trucker

Ok,

the plot thickens, the PCM is not receiving the correct signal from the ECT? (engine coolant temp),   a -40 is the default (no signal) display, it could be a wiring harness issue, bad contact at the ECT harness or a failed ECT. Seeing as the ECT signal is out of whack the PCM can't set the correct fuel mixture, won't idle correctly & will not go into closed loop.

When you mention a trans temp code is that a code 58 or 59 or 79 or 80?

none of those would display on the check engine light....but would have nothing to do with an incorrect idle situation..

see this exploded view of the 4T65 trans, item 391 is the TFT temp sensor.....I'm assuming that it is internal, 224 is the converter harness That is internal

001215GM04-109.thumb.JPG.6aded453f5368901a72d75b0dbe5543a.JPG

Edited by 55trucker

55trucker

Code 35 is an incorrect idle rpm, 59 is the low temp trans fluid.

You mentioned that a tps code was set....21 or 22? I take it that you cleared the code.

when you did the KOEO test the scanner went thru the sensor tests and all the trans solenoids responded as they should?

94 cloisonne convertible

A little update i havent been able to dig into it much but i just noticed the transmission temperature is -39 Celsius when key is on and 150 celcius when key is off.

I own another w body a 95 grand prix and on that one it shows same reading key on or off.

Another thing to mention when i bought the car the steering column was busted. I did replace the steering column but used my ignition.   I

Any ideas ?    Thanks again