1992 4T60E Questions

GP1138

This 1992 STE is running great but has some small issues that I am slowly working out.

The transmission shifts well and seems to put plenty of power down, but when I first start driving it after it sits even at the gas station, it starts in 3rd gear. I think I have a vacuum problem since I don't get air out of the vents but only on the floor, but everything I've read states that the vac modulator on the E trans does not control shifts, only firmness, so theoretically that wouldn't be my problem..? I'm going to grab a new modulator anyway I think since there was so much fuel running through the vac lines that it's probably prudent to do so, but could it be the reason I don't always start in 1st gear?

Yes, the FPR was the reason it was running like crap, and once I replaced that it runs great with a stumble off idle every once in awhile.

It does have the 2nd Gear Start, I can toggle the switch and the light comes on and off. I don't know if that light dead on indicates whether that is sending the 2nd gear signal to the transmission, so I don't know for sure if it's on and the light just isn't indicating it or not..

That's what I usually do. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Once it starts shifting into 1st by itself, usually about 3-4 streets after I get in and start it up, it's fine. But off a cold start, it starts in 3rd.

2 hours ago, 55trucker said:

Engine temp shouldn't have any bearing on the trans ability to manually select a gear. Has the trans gear range selector been moved at all?

Not to my knowledge. I haven't played with that, maybe I'll have a look.

I take that you not familiar with the history of the car?

You mentioned that you're seeing an issue with the HVAC, you're getting airflow to the floor, are you getting airflow up to the windshield, when the vacuum is completely lost the windshield is the default.

If the modulator isn't leaking, and the shifts are soft at low throttle, firmer, and higher-RPM at heavy throttle there's little reason to replace it.

What does the fluid look like?   How long has the filter been in place?

Realistically, this sounds like a solenoid issue; but wire harness and the trans controller could be at fault.

I've heard of second-gear starts when the spool valve in the trans valve body gets sticky.  But the "E" trans use solenoids.

I might just do a pan drop and filter change and see what happens. Realistically, if it runs fine after that and just acts up when cold (like, the first couple of stops), I might just run with it. 

Thanks all!

If you're having vacuum issues, I'd replace the transmission vacuum modulator. If it's bad, it will screw with the vacuum going to other components. It's a cheap and very easy thing to do before getting into the solenoids or changing the fluid and filter. I replaced the shift solenoids on mine, only to find out I had a bad modulator. I really wish I would've replaced it first. 

40 minutes ago, MemphisMan said:

If you're having vacuum issues, I'd replace the transmission vacuum modulator. If it's bad, it will screw with the vacuum going to other components. It's a cheap and very easy thing to do before getting into the solenoids or changing the fluid and filter. I replaced the shift solenoids on mine, only to find out I had a bad modulator. I really wish I would've replaced it first. 

Wouldn't it make sense to TEST the modulator, rather than making wild guesses and throwing parts?  If the modulator isn't leaking fluid internally, it's not leaking vacuum.

Similarly, trans solenoids can be electrically tested; but so far as I know, there's no way to test the fluid path that doesn't involve putting power to them and seeing if the trans shifts gears.  I have a Kent-Moore "special tool" that's intended to do that--it connects to the bigass electrical connector on the side of the trans.  The tech can then dial-up any gear ratio by spinning the knob on the tool.  Point being, in most situations testing is better than guessing.  But if testing requires equipment you don't have, at least make an educated guess by testing what you can, first.

Just now, Schurkey said:

Wouldn't it make sense to TEST the modulator, rather than making wild guesses and throwing parts?  If the modulator isn't leaking fluid internally, it's not leaking vacuum.

Similarly, trans solenoids can be electrically tested; but so far as I know, there's no way to test the fluid path that doesn't involve putting power to them and seeing if the trans shifts gears.  I have a Kent-Moore "special tool" that's intended to do that--it connects to the bigass electrical connector on the side of the trans.  The tech can then dial-up any gear ratio by spinning the knob on the tool.  Point being, in most situations testing is better than guessing.  But if testing requires equipment you don't have, at least make an educated guess by testing what you can, first.

It wasn't too much of a wild guess my modulator was bad because I had a small amount of tranny fluid at the plenum side of the vacuum line. I just wish I would've known to check that first. Agreed that testing is better than guessing and having special tools are great when you have them. 

If GP1138 doesn't have special tools, he should investigate the modulator. I'm glad I did. The "experts" at the transmission shop recommended a full rebuild at the cost of $2100 using their special tools, but they were obviously after the $.

Like Schurkey, I would suspect a solenoid related issue.

This is the solenoid pattern for the 4T60-E(same for 4T65-E, 4L60-E, and 4L65-E as well). 

Range      1-2 Solenoid   2-3 Solenoid

Park                  ON                  ON
 Reverse            ON                  ON
Neutral              ON                  ON

1st Gear             ON                  ON
 2nd Gear           OFF                 ON

3rd Gear            OFF                 OFF
4th Gear            ON                  OFF