Cutlass Supreme - Door Latch Repair

bluecalais79

A lot of you out there probably already know this but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway. I'm currently working out a lot of the bugs that came with my 94 CS 2 door I just got back, and one of them is the age old problem of the B-pillar located door handles going bad. Good news. It's not always the handle itself. I replaced the handle mechanism on the Drivers side as it was broken (after spending a good amount of time bending it to get the right contour of the door) and it still didn't work.

After looking top of the rod. at it further I noted there is a fitting nut that screws on to the top of that rod going into the latch. I turned it all the way to the top so the adjusting nut was flush with the top of the rod which had to be over 1/4 inch adjustment. PAYDIRT! The door handle now opens the door like it was when it was new! This worked so well I made this adjustment with my white 1996 CS and same thing, that car's doors now open like they should.

Good thing, I was getting sick of crawling through the pass through in the trunk to get into the car. As mentioned I had to replace the Drivers Side but I avoided replacing the passengers side and the ones on my white 1996.

Also, IMHO the door handles available from A1 are better than the Dorman handles you get from Rock Auto. I did a side by side, the quality is better. With the A1 handle I had no problem bending it to fit. I don't think doing that would work with the Dorman handles too well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluecalais79 said:

A lot of you out there probably already know this but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway. I'm currently working out a lot of the bugs that came with my 94 CS 2 door I just got back, and one of them is the age old problem of the B-pillar located door handles going bad. Good news. It's not always the handle itself. I replaced the handle mechanism on the Drivers side as it was broken (after spending a good amount of time bending it to get the right contour of the door) and it still didn't work.

After looking top of the rod. at it further I noted there is a fitting nut that screws on to the top of that rod going into the latch. I turned it all the way to the top so the adjusting nut was flush with the top of the rod which had to be over 1/4 inch adjustment. PAYDIRT! The door handle now opens the door like it was when it was new! This worked so well I made this adjustment with my white 1996 CS and same thing, that car's doors now open like they should.

Good thing, I was getting sick of crawling through the pass through in the trunk to get into the car. As mentioned I had to replace the Drivers Side but I avoided replacing the passengers side and the ones on my white 1996.

Also, IMHO the door handles available from A1 are better than the Dorman handles you get from Rock Auto. I did a side by side, the quality is better. With the A1 handle I had no problem bending it to fit. I don't think doing that would work with the Dorman handles too well.

Yes, for sure, I have also discovered this with my 91 CS coupe as well.  I have also learned from others here, getting into the habit of not using the handle to pull the door open but using my left hand (I'm right handed) to reach up and pull the door open at the top of the door frame.

Good to know about the A1 units, thanks!

• Like 3

I went through several Dorman door handles, they are not the best. Adjusting the handle so it properly opens the door helps a lot on these cars. Also don't be afraid to lube these handles, especially if you live in a colder climate during the winter. Ice is very bad for these things.

As Jiggity mentioned once the door is unlatched it is best to pull from the frame, and not the handle. 

Another member here used to suggest putting a string on the rod that goes to the latch. That way if the handle does break you can get the string out and pull up on it, and the door will open. I did that to both of my Ws. That trick saved me twice when the handle snapped in cold weather. 

Theres that sharp point of contact that will gouge out the new handle after awhile, if you round of the edge of that pivoting metal part and put some grease along the lever it will last alot longer. Ive lost count of how many Ive gone through over the years.

If Dorman were ever to discontinue that part we`d be forced to fabricate regular door handles into the doors...Or fight to the death over the ones left.

I need to fix the door handles on my Grand Prix. I haven't owned it for even a year and a half but I'm already on my 5th one, I'll give these tips a shot.

* This counts the handles that came with the car

Edited by Amanita

• 3 years later...

The rod is off my latch so even with a new handle it won't open from outside.  What do I do about that? I took the door panel off and the metal reinforcement bars are in the way and they're riveted. 🔥 

2 hours ago, gr_elvis said:

The rod is off my latch so even with a new handle it won't open from outside.  What do I do about that? I took the door panel off and the metal reinforcement bars are in the way and they're riveted. 🔥 

I've been told I need to drill out the rivets to get to the latch and then rivet them back in, can't they be bolted in?