Preserving Millage on an odometer

carlos91010

Hi Everyone. I'm new to this forum. I have a 2001 Chevy Monte Carlo SS. My electronic cluster recently broke down on me. I found a replacement on ebay. I thought that the millage was stored in the main system of the car and the millage would update once connecting the replacement cluster. To my surprise, millage is stored in the cluster and after connecting it, it read the millage from it's previous car, which is 236,000 miles. My car's original millage is 167,000. I am trying to preserve my millage onto the replacement cluster. I've looked up a bunch of youtube videos and I know it's as simple as swaping out the chip in the cluster which involves some soldering. Does anyone know exactly which chip stores the millage on a 2001 Chevy Monte Carlo SS??? No shops will mess with my odometer, even though I am just trying to preserve the correct millage on my car. I know I can do this once I know which chip to swap. Thanks.

If I’m not mistaken you’re correct in that the mileage is stored internally, but the cluster odometer is gonna read whatever it came from, so you’d have to have it programmed to read a value from the pcm and then it’d count up from there. At least that’s how I understand the newer ones

I didn’t read the whole thing, but yes ask Saar

Thanks. I've been watching videos on youtube showing that I can switch the eeprom chip where the millage is stored from my original cluster to the replacement cluster. Unfortunately, the videos are for other types of chevys and the cluster on mine has multiple computer chips. I don't want to remove the wrong one by mistake. I appreciate all of your feedback.   

• 2 weeks later...

I know on my 1989-ish UB3 cluster out of a Cutlass Supreme, the chip that has the counter for the odometer is exposed in the plastic casing so it can be theoretically reprogrammed without removing the chip simply by wiring it up to a suitable programmer for the purpose.  If there's any such chip on your cluster, I'd suggest punching the part numbers into your favourite online search tool.