'95 Cutlass - unplugged interior wire harness

06goat75

Found an unplugged wire harness today.  Interior, pretty much right behind the center console.  It goes up into the cross harness, so I can't really trace the wires.  It has dirt around it, so it looks like it was plugged in at some point.  I pulled off both kick panels, HVAC controls, radio, can't figure out where it goes. 

Couple interior things don't work -

1) HVAC controls don't change the air output at all.  Temp changes (a bit), but they always blow out the defroster.  

2) Steering wheel control buttons don't do anything, either side.

3) Airbag light is on

Thought it might be a plug for another W-body and a different function, but you can see dirt marks on it, which lead me to believe it has been plugged in at some point.  Pretty much everything else works (radio, top, HVAC control panel itself).  I'm hoping I can figure out where this thing goes, and maybe everything works again (though I doubt I am that lucky!)

p9zdRsl.jpg?1

Nw05n75.jpg?1

Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks in advance!

On a side note, found the wires for (I think) the HUD and controls) tucked away in the dash.

zJpRWvK.jpg?1

Edited by 06goat75

Well, after digging through the service manual (just showed up in the mail today!) I have a feeling it is for the radio amplifier.  

According to the book, it's on the left side of the IP, right of the steering column.  Didn't see anything that was unplugged when I was looking today, not sure I know what I'm looking for though.  

Anyone have a picture handy of what I might be looking for?

No idea if the PO hacked it up, removed it, just unplugged it, or whatever.  

Do the CSC's even have the upgraded sound system?  Do they have an amp?

Edited by 06goat75

Yeah, that's probably the radio amp, I can't think of anything else that would be down there that looks like that. In the early 1G cars it's directly under the dashboard in front of the console and it was a rather non-descript black box. 

As for which cars were equipped with it, maybe one of the vert experts can chime in.

10 hours ago, digitaloutsider said:

Yeah, that's probably the radio amp, I can't think of anything else that would be down there that looks like that. In the early 1G cars it's directly under the dashboard in front of the console and it was a rather non-descript black box. 

As for which cars were equipped with it, maybe one of the vert experts can chime in.

If the information that crutchfield has is accurate, my '96 has the amp under the dash in the same location too.

Thanks for the confirmation.  I can't seem to find anything fitting the description that this wiring harness might plug into, so guessing it was removed.  

I guess i'll have to see if I can track one.  A 96 CS 4 door just came into the local LKQ, so maybe I'll head over and look.

Can you snap a picture of your radio? That to me looks like the wiring harness for a BCM controlled 2 din radio, which I didnt think they had on the 95 models.

On 2/3/2020 at 2:46 PM, 06goat75 said:

1) HVAC controls don't change the air output at all.  Temp changes (a bit), but they always blow out the defroster. 

If it's like the '92--'93 cars, you need to fix the vacuum system to restore the heat/vent/defrost air direction mechanism.

Both of mine had broken hard-plastic vacuum hoses in the vacuum circuit that includes the HVAC, the cruise control, and the reservoir ball by the LF wheel.  The plastic tubing is brittle, it can shatter anywhere--but near the battery is the most-common.  I needed to splice the tubing in my cars more than once.  When the system leaks, the air switches to defrost and the cruise control turns off under load like when going uphill.  But maybe the '95 is different.

Temperature of the air is another story.  Proper coolant level in the radiator and overflow bottle?  Do you have a WORKING thermostat in the engine?  Plugged heater core--either corroded internally, or the air fins plugged with pine needles and mouse nest?  Failed air door for the temperature control?

Edited by Schurkey

4 hours ago, Schurkey said:

If it's like the '92--'93 cars, you need to fix the vacuum system to restore the heat/vent/defrost air direction mechanism.

Both of mine had broken hard-plastic vacuum hoses in the vacuum circuit that includes the HVAC, the cruise control, and the reservoir ball by the LF wheel.  The plastic tubing is brittle, it can shatter anywhere--but near the battery is the most-common.  I needed to splice the tubing in my cars more than once.  When the system leaks, the air switches to defrost and the cruise control turns off under load like when going uphill.  But maybe the '95 is different.

Temperature of the air is another story.  Proper coolant level in the radiator and overflow bottle?  Do you have a WORKING thermostat in the engine?  Plugged heater core--either corroded internally, or the air fins plugged with pine needles and mouse nest?  Failed air door for the temperature control?

For the HVAC, you are right on track.  Found the broken vacuum hose today (which had been previously repaired), right below the battery, going to the ball.  Fixed it and the HVAC controls started working!

Flushed the core already (both ways), a new thermostat, and new radiator cap.  Heat did start working, finally.  Still gotta flush the coolant system though.

Now I just need to sort the Airbag Light, and the steering wheel controls which don't work at all.  

Edited by 06goat75

11 hours ago, pontiac6ksteawd said:

Can you snap a picture of your radio? That to me looks like the wiring harness for a BCM controlled 2 din radio, which I didnt think they had on the 95 models.

I can, but it is a standard Olds radio they put in the 95+ Olds across the board.  Tape deck version, one plug in the back (and the antenna plug).