Scantool for '95 Cutlass - OBD 1.5

06goat75

What is everyone using nowadays for a scan tool for the '95's?  

I know they are that oddball OBD 1.5.  Did a search but a lot of the info is pretty old.  

Not looking to spend a fortune, but need something that'll read codes, as well as stuff like airbag lights, hopefully ABS in there too.

Thanks!

I scored a Actron CP9145 on eBay for $60. Used it a lot on my 95, Olds 88 with great results. Haven’t used it on my 95 CS yet but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. Doesn’t do air bag or anti lock though. It also worked on my ‘02 Mazda Protege which surprised me. Has saved me well over the $60 I paid for it😀

8 hours ago, 06goat75 said:

I know they are that oddball OBD 1.5.  Did a search but a lot of the info is pretty old.  

Not looking to spend a fortune, but need something that'll read codes, as well as stuff like airbag lights, hopefully ABS in there too.

Thanks!

If you want it to do all those systems, I would suggest looking for a used Snap on MT2500 that has the appropriate cartridges included. To keep it a bit cheaper, you could specifically look for one with older cartridges that should be cheaper. Besides ebay, offerup, etc. check out local pawn shops if you're not in a hurry.

On 1/21/2020 at 6:54 AM, 06goat75 said:

Boy that MT2500 looks kinda complicated, cartridges, keys, programable cartridges, not to mention all the cables and adapters!

But it WORKS.  Programmable cartridges came out in the 2000s.  I have two main cartridges for mine--a non-programmable for 1980 1/2--'99; and a programmable from '96--2006.  You only need the software to suit the vehicles you use the tool with.  Downside of the 2500 series is that software support ended in '2009; and any cartridge newer than 2006 is pretty rare.

The only adapter you need is the one that fits your car.  OBD-1 has heaps and piles of adapters 'cause every manufacturer had their own system, perhaps more than one.

The only "Key" you need is the one(s) that are used with your vehicle.  Which may be "zero" in 1985.

Same with the CANDi module.  Unless your vehicle needs it...it's useless.

Better to have a used professional-grade scan tool than a "new" consumer-grade tool.

2 hours ago, Schurkey said:

But it WORKS.  Programmable cartridges came out in the 2000s.  I have two main cartridges for mine--a non-programmable for 1980 1/2--'99; and a programmable from '96--2006.  You only need the software to suit the vehicles you use the tool with.  Downside of the 2500 series is that software support ended in '2009; and any cartridge newer than 2006 is pretty rare.

The only adapter you need is the one that fits your car.  OBD-1 has heaps and piles of adapters 'cause every manufacturer had their own system, perhaps more than one.

The only "Key" you need is the one(s) that are used with your vehicle.  Which may be "zero" in 1985.

Same with the CANDi module.  Unless your vehicle needs it...it's useless.

Better to have a used professional-grade scan tool than a "new" consumer-grade tool.

I'm good with buying the scan tool that works.  Guess I only need the cartridges for the GM vehicles through 99, no programmable ones.

And I'm still not sure I understand the key concept.  Do I need one for a '95 CSC, or not?  The keys are specifically for the vehicle?  So you need a cartridge and key to do a '95?

On 1/20/2020 at 7:41 PM, 06goat75 said:

Thanks!

My '95 CS convertible (built in November 1995) does not have the trapezoidal OBD 1.5 connector that two previous '95 model cars I've owned—an Olds Aurora and a Pontiac Bonneville—had. Instead, it has an older style rectangular connector. Shortly after I got the car, I picked up a cheap code reader that was supposed to hook up to that port and flash out the codes on the 'check engine' light but the reader's connector was yet a different shape and wouldn't mate up. I've pretty much given up finding an affordable scanner for that car.

3 minutes ago, Human said:

My '95 CS convertible (built in November 1995) does not have the trapezoidal OBD 1.5 connector that two previous '95 model cars I've owned—an Olds Aurora and a Pontiac Bonneville—had. Instead, it has an older style rectangular connector. Shortly after I got the car, I picked up a cheap code reader that was supposed to hook up to that port and flash out the codes on the 'check engine' light but the reader's connector was yet a different shape and wouldn't mate up. I've pretty much given up finding an affordable scanner for that car.

Mine has the rectangular connector too.

I've mentioned before that I use a Tech-II China Clone scanner.  I use that on my '92 Achieva, along with my OBD-II 2000 Intrigue.
I have/had other scanners that worked with my '92 Achieva.  They are buried or tossed out at this point.

Note, these may or may not be a legal copy.  My guess is the former.

If you get a Tech-II clone, make sure you get the GM card.  It's ~$310 without a case, and ~$470 with a plastic case.

It's ~$310 without a case.
https://www.obd2tool.com/goods-1568-GM+Tech2+GM+Scanner+-CANdi++TIS+(Works+for+GMSAABOPELSUZUKIISUZUHolden).html

1568_P_1516937603348.jpg

It's ~$470 with a plastic case.

https://www.obd2tool.com/goods-150-Best-Quality-GM-Tech2-GM-Diagnostic-Scanner-For-GM-SAAB-OPEL-SUZUKI-ISUZU-Holden.html

150_P_1413775330914.jpg

IIrc, it takes ~2+ weeks to arrive.

Again, I make no claim, at all, that the above are legitimate/legal items or copies.

Good Luck.

Edited by Cutlass350

19 hours ago, 06goat75 said:

And I'm still not sure I understand the key concept.  Do I need one for a '95 CSC, or not?  The keys are specifically for the vehicle?  So you need a cartridge and key to do a '95?

"Keys" fit into the OBD-2 adapter housing.  No OBD-2 adapter...no keys.

My '98 Monte Carlo and my '03 Trailblazer use the OBD-2 adapter...but still don't need any "Keys" for engine diagnosis.   Seems to me I need a "Key" (# K9) to do...trans?  ABS?  on one or the other or both.  Key K9 is popular for GM.  I have a fistful of keys, but I think that's the only one I've ever used.

5 hours ago, Human said:

GM has used three connector bodies for the diagnostic link.  Any REAL scan tool will have adapters available to match.  The common ones are 5-, 12-, and 16-cavity connectors.  I've never seen the 10-cavity version (Lotus only?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALDL