Rocker Panel drain holes! Why?

bing98

Repairing the rot on my 01 Grand Prix coupe. Getting near the end. Big question.........

Is it safe to seal all of the external seams(especially the lower pinch weld) and what appear to be drain holes beneath the rocker? I see that the factory rockers had a number of small openings front and rear where water and crap could enter, but I have closed those off. I can't see any logical reason why I should keep the drains open. I don't see holes like that on my 00 & 02 Bonnevilles or my 72 Nova for that matter. Why on earth would the factory want to expose that area to moisture is beyond me.

My GP doesn't have a sunroof so there are no drains. Unless the cowl area beneath the windshield drains there? If any water came down the inner cowl through the hing pillar I would also end up in the car as there is a large hole there for the door wiring to pass through so I'm sure the cowl drains somewhere else. I will test that however to be sure. 

I'm hoping someone has some experience here as I want to do this right and I want it to last. This car will probably end up being more of a fair weather car anyway, but still. I recently looked as a 2000 Grand Prix with only 27,000 original miles. Garaged all its life. Super clean underneath, but there were still signs of rust on the rockers. One small area was rusted enough that you could poke through. These WBodys are fun cars, but some of their structural design features were real poor.