!!UPDATE!! What to use to clean off old

Big Blue

gaskets.

I just finished taking off my head from my 3.8 and now i have to clean off all the old gasket left overs.What can i use to clean all the surfaces off.I remmeber seeing on a show that was replaceing a gasket they used some kind of cleaner and very carefuly scraped off the old gasket with a screw driver.If someone can please tell what they have used to clean off old gaskets, are know's what that spray is called i would be very greatful.

Kyle :D

I use a paint scraper (about an inch -> inch and a half wide) to get most of the crap off, and to get good surfaces for the gaskets to mate with I use emery cloth in sanding block. Works great.

I use a paint scraper (about an inch -> inch and a half wide) to get most of the crap off, and to get good surfaces for the gaskets to mate with I use emery cloth in sanding block. Works great.

Well thankyou for your input,i have never heard off emery cloth LOL.Do you think canadian tire aka crappy tire would sell it.

Kyle

Well I just did this and now have to go back in after bad lifters but it I just used a scraper/putty knife. Just be careful not to gouge any of the surfaces but make sure they're clean. Then I used a micro polishing gel to get the rest off. I went over it with carb cleaner before reinstall to get all the extra crap and any oil that was on there.

There is a tool actually that looks similar to a wire brush, only its made of a semi-abrasive plastic/rubber material. This not only cleans off the old gasket material but it conditions the gasket surface very well too. This is what most dealerships require their mechanics to use when doing head work, ect.

Using a paint scraper can be VERY harmful to the heads if not careful. you put a scratch in the head and its done. I suggest that you pick up one of these gasket conditioners. They are fairly cheap (under $10).

There is also a chemical that i have (i havent had to use it yet) but you can get it at checker for about $6 and its gasket remover. You spray it on and it disolves the soft surfaces of the gasket for easy removal. Like i said, dont know how well it works yet, but i have been told that it is awesome.

- Justin

There is a tool actually that looks similar to a wire brush, only its made of a semi-abrasive plastic/rubber material. This not only cleans off the old gasket material but it conditions the gasket surface very well too. This is what most dealerships require their mechanics to use when doing head work, ect.

Using a paint scraper can be VERY harmful to the heads if not careful. you put a scratch in the head and its done. I suggest that you pick up one of these gasket conditioners. They are fairly cheap (under $10).

There is also a chemical that i have (i havent had to use it yet) but you can get it at checker for about $6 and its gasket remover. You spray it on and it disolves the soft surfaces of the gasket for easy removal. Like i said, dont know how well it works yet, but i have been told that it is awesome.

- Justin

Hey Justin the head is already fucked up so i don't think a few scates would do anything but thanks for the input.I already booked itin do get it all decked and polished.

Would you have pic/link to what this tool looks like,and isit $10 us are $10 canadian.If it's in us funds im probly looking at $20 up hear.

I also have another question for every one, could i use engine cleaner to get the rest off the gasket off are would it eat away at the aluminum/iron.

Thanks for all the help guys :D

Kyle

Whatever you do, dont sand on the block surface. You'll get metal shavings in the cylinders, not good. Use some carb cleaner and a gasket scraper, yes its an actual tool made for gettin old gaskets off.

I always use emery cloth on the block surface, how else could I get that good a mating surface?

I usually just jam rags down anywhere I don't want filings/shavings to go, like the cylinder bores.

i'll see about finding a pic... that tool is in US dollars, but i can find em here for anywhere from $3-10 so it depends on where you shop.

the gasket spray i was referencing is 3M Gasket Remover. I would trust it 100% if its from 3M. After looking at the can, it is designed specificly for use on aluminum and soft metals but also works on Iron. It wont eat at the aluminum.

lemme find a pic - stay tuned.

- Justin

ok, cant find a pic, but its called a plastic grinding disk. It basicly looks like a bowl type wire wheel, only plastic. I asked my brother (dealership mechanic) and they rang anywhere from $.50 to $3 depending. He suggests the 3M $3.00 ones. They last longer. Should be able to find them at any hardware store that sells automotive hardware or a place like napa/checker/pep boys. As far as working with the block, as long as it is iron, you can use a scotch brite pad. dont use those on aluminum though.

- Justin

Well thanks guys but i do still need a little more help on this.

Could i use some engine spray and then use the gaskit brush are would the engine cleaner eat throw the head/block.

My second one is,i went out today to see what i could do and i noticed that parts off the old gasket had fallen down the cynlinder bore.They are not big pieaces but small little ones,i was thinking i could take a shop towel(the blue ones) and dab it with a little water are oil and just dab the top off the pistin.Would this be okay are what.I really need input on this.

Kyle

You live in canada right? Head to Princess Auto and buy this stuff called goo-gone and a gasket scraper. I'm positive they carry both. (I work at the Winnipeg store.) The goo-gone may sound sick but it's designed especially for removing gaskets. Although now that I come to think of it, the goo-gone only works on rtv silicone gaskets, and I'm not too sure what you've got. We sell engine cleaner and gasket scrapers anyways, and for cheaper than most anywhere else.

Go here for catalogue.

Goo-gone eh? we have a few bottles of that stuff in my house, it works on anything and everything. Cant say that ive used it on gaskets before. When removing gaskets, i have and usually use some sort of scraper with parts cleaner in a parts washer. But each of those times the head was serviced at a machine shop and the gaskets surfaces came back unscratched. If your careful you souldnt hurt the surfaces with a scrapper.

oops i think i said the wrong stuff... it's not goo-gone... will check tomorrow at work. Go gone is the stuff to get gum out of carpet.

Hey man,

so did you find out if the spray is called goo=gone are what,please tell me.Also you said you guys carry those Plastic griding disk's to remove the old gaskets.I went on Princess autos website and typed in it and got know matches,so isit called a Plastic griding disk's.

Also you said sometihng about if the gasket is a RTV SILCONE GASKET the stuff won't work.All i know is it's a regular head gasket that you get from the parts store,so if itis mand out off RTV what else could i use(im replacing the old head gasket with a copper one).

Spray compressed air in the cylinders, it'll get all the dirt out. Just a small shot of it though, enought to get all the junk out

Hey robby1870

I don't have a conpresser are know anybody that has one,if i did the head would off been off 7 months ago :lol:. That's why i thought i could just take a shoptowel are something and dip it in oil and then dab the top off the piston head,side walls.Is this okey to do,are what do you think the best thing would be to do.

Don't know if you can get it, the can says institutional use only on it, but "Zep Off" decale and gasket remover is amazing stuff. Made by Zep chemical, use it all the time to get decalels and overspray off metal surfaces, it just dissoves them and they peel right off.

Just don't get it on your skin. Burns like a mofo.

Im back,first thing first 91CUTTY doesn't know what hes talking about.2 days ago i went to Princess Auto to get the plastic grinding disc(Gasket scraper)and the goo gone crap.All i saw was carb cleaner, wd-40 Engine cleaner,goo-gone Lubacation.Know where did i see goo-gone,but it gets better i asked one off the sales people if they had something called a plastic grinding disc(Gasket scraper and they looked at me like i was on crack.Then they said yes we have a Gasket scrapers.All it was,was a flat head screw driver and they wanted 5.00 dollers.

If this was a prack then you should be shoot,but if not then they should fire your ass :evil: