UA-65274002-1 Jump to content
MemphisMan

91 vs 95 LQ1 Comparison

Just some pics showing the differences between the two engines. Both are in Cutlass Supremes. The red body is a 91 coupe and has a 5 speed Getrag 284 manual transmission. The green body is a 95 convertible has a 4 speed 4T60E automatic transmission.

Edited by MemphisMan

So I see the difference in the airbox, engine cover, dipstick, cylinder head shape, engine coolant reservoir, and anything else?  Oh yeah, ABS vs non ABS windshield washer bottle.

‘96 is easy to spot, the plenum is a completely different shape.

EDIT:  Also, the '96-up has the ignition coils mounted on the passenger side of the plenum, instead of in front of the exhaust manifold, and a different style EGR, which is visible next to the intake, much like standard 60* V-6 cars...

Yours is a pre ‘94 (no cam position sensor on the front head), but a ‘94-up valve cover.

The MAP sensor on the passenger side rear of the plenum is a good sanity check, because ‘94-up don’t use a MAP.

Edited by Galaxie500XL

I'm gonna guess a 95 or 96.  Dipstick is throwing me off a little though.

Correct.....it's a 95 engine,

the car is a '91,

being a '95 what DON'T you see when looking at the top end?

Correct.....it's a 95 engine,

the car is a '91,

being a '95 what DON'T you see when looking at the top end?

I'm not well educated on these yet and I have to admit I cheated a little bit.  I saw the HUD on the dash and knew it was a 91-93 car but the cylinder head looks newer than that so I assumed it wasn't correct for the year of car.  The dipstick has been changed out though right?  Every LQ1 I've seen from 93 up has the yellow pull ring type not the T-handle and I've never seen a yellow T-handle one, just the black ones like mine.

I see the bolt hole for the cam position sensor, but no hole for the sensor.

Precisely,

the carrier casting is the later casting (94-97), the last four digits for the casting # is 2167, the 91-93 carrier casting # is not the same #, the earlier castings don't have the female threaded hole for the sensor bolt retainer, but you can see there is no machining at all for the sensor location.  

I'm not well educated on these yet and I have to admit I cheated a little bit.  I saw the HUD on the dash and knew it was a 91-93 car but the cylinder head looks newer than that so I assumed it wasn't correct for the year of car.  The dipstick has been changed out though right?  Every LQ1 I've seen from 93 up has the yellow pull ring type not the T-handle and I've never seen a yellow T-handle one, just the black ones like mine.

My 93 Z34 had a yellow T Handle stock... When I broke mine and got a new one (from my buddy at the Dealer), it was yellow as well...

Tom B...

My 93 Z34 had a yellow T Handle stock... When I broke mine and got a new one (from my buddy at the Dealer), it was yellow as well...

Tom B...

Interesting, I have yet to see one in a junkyard car.  I definitely know the yellow pull ring ones will not fit over the end of the dipstick tube in my car.  I'm grabbing any black T-handle ones I see though.

thanks for posting those red 5speed shots, they'll be very useful in the future for my swap.  Whats the status of the red 5 speed anyway?  Is it a driver?  hope this wasn't found at the JY.

thanks for posting those red 5speed shots, they'll be very useful in the future for my swap.  Whats the status of the red 5 speed anyway?  Is it a driver?  hope this wasn't found at the JY.

He got it from a guy on CL in the Kentucky area.  Very nice car!

thanks for posting those red 5speed shots, they'll be very useful in the future for my swap. Whats the status of the red 5 speed anyway? Is it a driver? hope this wasn't found at the JY.

It’s a driver. Just bought it last week. It’s in great shape. If you need any additional pics during the swap, just let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk