98 GP GT no start no crank only click

98gpgt

Ok, test light is working fine, voltage present at the lug with the red sleeve near where it bolts to the start capacitor. I short that lug against the small terminal with the lavender wire. Saw a few sparks, but nothing happened. It's definitely the starter I take it? Please tell me I can get this thing through the opening (and not have to remove fans and Trans cooler lines like Mr. Haynes tells me).

- and the lavender wire should appear above the red wire if the photo uploads properly. And the lugs should be pointing to the passenger side of car, I think). - photo uploaded fine.

post-10741-0-03329300-1532087578_thumb.jpg

Bad starter, whack the starter's main body with a hammer a few times and it should start normally until the next time. Plenty of good ones in the wrecking yards though. Disconnect the battery when you replace it, and support it well while you run the bolts in the new one. Only thing I've ever had to heicoil the threads on a W was a starter mounting hole I stripped the threads on.

I had to replace my starter this winter and it was a bear to get out. I barely maneuvered it out the top. Fans did come off. Trans lines did not, but mine are not stock because I run an external cooler only. The thing is massive.

Also, I know it is not supposed to need shims but mine did, thank you aftermarket replacement parts. So when you get one, test it before putting the fans back in.

Edited by vipmiller803

Not bad out the bottom. It sucks holding it up with one hand and getting the bolts in though. Starters don't seem really heavy until you hold them straight up with a bent elbow.

• Like 2

starter in, car runs. I bought a cheapo on ebay, 35$. Starts easy, but there's a bit of a screech. I didn't notice any shims fall out (also didn't carefully inspect the starter for shims). If I find none, might I need to add some? How do I know where to stick them and how much? I assume copper/brass/aluminum sheet will work.

Thanks for all the help. I'm going to utterly dissect the charging system (no not literally), so I know what to look at next time. I hate being an idiot.

5 hours ago, 98gpgt said:

starter in, car runs. I bought a cheapo on ebay, 35$. Starts easy, but there's a bit of a screech. I didn't notice any shims fall out (also didn't carefully inspect the starter for shims). If I find none, might I need to add some? How do I know where to stick them and how much? I assume copper/brass/aluminum sheet will work.

Thanks for all the help. I'm going to utterly dissect the charging system (no not literally), so I know what to look at next time. I hate being an idiot.

You can get them from Autozone, they come in various thickness. It's just a flat blade that has a drilled hole at one end & the other is a open slot.,

So 1 bolt has to come out, the other just loosened enough to slide it between the starter and the engine I take it? You just keep adding thickness until squeel goes away?

I had mine from a BBC starter I had done before but yea, you can get them at the general dorman/small parts section at the auto parts store. Some are even slotted perpendicular on both, so you need not remove either bolt.