ABS and TRAC OFF lights came on

KnightOwl

On the way home tonight in a pouring rain storm, my ABS and TRAC OFF lights came on and stayed on. No wheelspin or sliding involved, moving about 20mph. After I parked in my garage, I restarted the car and the lights went off.

I had a similar experience with my Bonneville that turned out to be a wheel hub. Does this throw a scan code I can capture with my reader?

I'd be looking for wiring harness problems--somewhere that the insulation or connector seals have failed, so water can get into the harness.

My '92 threw ABS codes, RF wheel harness was so rotten the wire was green instead of copper-colored.  I had to cut ~15 inches out of the harness to get to wire that solder would stick to.  Then spliced back to the hub assy using an AC-Delco connector/pigtail assembly.

• Like 3

I can feel my over-active PM mode kicking in...If I gotta pull things apart to change hubs I'm thinking its time to do the brakes as well.

Does this throw a scan code I can capture with my reader?

Yes, with a machine capable of pulling abs codes. I bet that would narrow down your search significantly. Schurkey is onto something with the harness issue. Rain would not aggravate any sensor pickup itself unless they are external to the hubs. Wiring, though, is definitely within rain's reach.

• 3 weeks later...

The Monte Carlo popped these lights when I hit a bump today. I could hear it working on a wheel bearing before so I shook them around and sure enough the front right has play.

Looking through Rockauto I see a First and Second design mentioned for 2001. Does anyone know the difference so I can order a hub assembly in?

EDIT:

Okay, now I see, a steel clip for the ABS sensor wire in the 1st design, and plastic on the second. So now the question is if they interchange or is there a difference that matters?  I don't want to look and would rather have more brand options anyway.

Edited by Imp558

When I bought my old GTP it had a damaged front passenger side ABS harness but I had to twist and contort like a lizard in order to see it. Until i took the plastic splash shield in the wheel well and then it was right there.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still getting the light occasionally and also I can feel the ABS engaging at low speeds or in parking lots...although the ABS light doesnt come on, but sometimes the "low trac" light does...weird.

I agree its probably a bad wheel sensor/hub but I swear I hate to pull it all apart and not upgrade the brakes while I've got it in pieces.

Thank you mod bug

If it's a hub assembly all you have to do is jack it up and see if the wheel moves. You might hear it buzzing. A good scan tool should read ABS codes too.

I'm still getting the light occasionally and also I can feel the ABS engaging at low speeds or in parking lots...although the ABS light doesnt come on, but sometimes the "low trac" light does...weird.

I agree its probably a bad wheel sensor/hub but I swear I hate to pull it all apart and not upgrade the brakes while I've got it in pieces.

Thank you mod bug

My experience with that issue at low speeds and other weird times has been a harness and not the hub.  My '01 and my '07 did the exact same thing and I replaced both front hubs but it the end they both needed a new harness.  With how cheap the harnesses are I recommend a full replacement over trying to repair it.  If it's been an issue for awhile you might have to cut a big section out to get "good" wire.