UA-65274002-1 Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ron350

Kent Moore J-35917 ball joint separator?

Does any one still have a Kent Moore J-35917 tie rod & ball joint separator?

Years ago GnatGoSplat posted a picture of his J-35917.

Some guy on ebay is has one for sale but the ball in the end of the bolt does not look right. I can’t find any other pictures of the end of the bolt so I am looking for some one that has a J-35917..

You don't need it. Support the Regal by the subframe and unbolt the ball joint nut. I remove the axle nut and tap the cv shaft in some with a block of wood because a cv joint pulled apart the first time I did my Regal's cv. Then jack up right on the threaded rod portion of the ball joint to relieve the spring pressure and hammer a traditional ball joint separator in to release it. A little pb blaster can't hurt.

Edited by Imp558

Thanks Imp558 the purpose of the J-35917 is to separate the tie rod and ball joint without damaging the grease boot. My tie rod ends are 3 years old and I don’t want to bust the boots with a pickle fork.

It isn't necessary. Remove the nut, smack the knuckle a few times with a hammer, it'll pop loose. Especially if they're that new.

Or go to a parts store and rent a tie rod press big enough to slip over that point in the knuckle and push it out.

Digitaloutsider renting a tie rod separator will do the trick if any part store rents one..

Arthritis has forced me to learn how to work smarter, slower and us a Hammer as little as possible. Having the correct tool for the job is now a must and no longer an option.

I found it you unbolt the castle nut on the tie rod then jack up on the ball joint enough you can pretty much lift the tie rod out of the C-arm with easy. Thats how I change them out, the fork is close to useless.

Consider buying a ball-joint "kit".  This was a loaner-tool at my local NAPA, until I borrowed it and liked it so much that I bought the thing.  The same kit is available from several sources.  This one was "made" by KD, which is now Gearwrench.

Joint_Kit_001.jpg

Joint_Kit_002.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-41690-Front-End-Service/dp/B000TDCCHW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520819655&sr=8-1&keywords=41690+ball+joint

The Kent-Moore tool I'm seeing on eBay looks like the end of the threaded rod is mushroomed.  Might not be useless, but can't be a happy thing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-KENT-MOORE-J-35917-TIE-ROD-BALL-JOINT-PULLER-AUTOMOTIVE-SERVICING-TOOL-NICE/401503921515?epid=667241632&hash=item5d7b7fa56b:g:btEAAOSww-BaWSu6