Retrofits

supergt

I've done a few. Definitely wouldn't call me an expert, but they're sure fun! :) what's your question though? Ask away!

Edit: what is your light output goals, what car is it, what projectors were you looking to put in, what bulbs would you be using, what other custom mods would you want to do (aka blacking reflector out, adding switch back sequential led strips, etc)?

I've done a few. Definitely wouldn't call me an expert, but they're sure fun! :) what's your question though? Ask away!

Edit: what is your light output goals, what car is it, what projectors were you looking to put in, what bulbs would you be using, what other custom mods would you want to do (aka blacking reflector out, adding switch back sequential led strips, etc)?

Yo! Would you put them together if I bought all the stuff?

Yo! Would you put them together if I bought all the stuff?

Sure! I'm about to do my headlights soon too! Thought it'd be cool to do the sequential switchback led strip like an Audi and black out the reflectors, then do single bi-xeon projectors with angel eyes and demon eye effect. With the led strips, I could both wire for drl when they're white, and for turn signal when amber, that way I could essentially black out the corner bulb yet still have bright turn signal and have daytime running lights without burning the projectors bulbs out early from being on all the time. And well, angel and demon eyes cause... why not?? Lol

Sure! I'm about to do my headlights soon too! Thought it'd be cool to do the sequential switchback led strip like an Audi and black out the reflectors, then do single bi-xeon projectors with angel eyes and demon eye effect. With the led strips, I could both wire for drl when they're white, and for turn signal when amber, that way I could essentially black out the corner bulb yet still have bright turn signal and have daytime running lights without burning the projectors bulbs out early from being on all the time. And well, angel and demon eyes cause... why not?? Lol

So what’s necessary to do just a basic retrofit? I don’t want nothing fancy. Just projectors and blacked out housings with HIDs. Idk what people do with the turn signals though.

So what’s necessary to do just a basic retrofit? I don’t want nothing fancy. Just projectors and blacked out housings with HIDs. Idk what people do with the turn signals though.

So the thing about blacking out the reflectors is that the corner light for turn signal obviously won't use a lens to project like the headlights will, so if you black that out, your turn signals will be barely visible.

Basically, blacking out the turn signal reflectors means you need some alternate means of a turn signal to be safe on the road. You can use all sorts of leds, but my favorite are the sequential switchback led strips that alternate between white (drl) and amber (turn signal). You can have the turn signal simply flash, or you can have it sequentially (like night rider).

Morimoto minis fit really well in our headlights. Halos and demon eyes are only a few extra dollars to add and they look cool. :)

So the thing about blacking out the reflectors is that the corner light for turn signal obviously won't use a lens to project like the headlights will, so if you black that out, your turn signals will be barely visible.

Basically, blacking out the turn signal reflectors means you need some alternate means of a turn signal to be safe on the road. You can use all sorts of leds, but my favorite are the sequential switchback led strips that alternate between white (drl) and amber (turn signal). You can have the turn signal simply flash, or you can have it sequentially (like night rider).

Morimoto minis fit really well in our headlights. Halos and demon eyes are only a few extra dollars to add and they look cool. :)

Halos I could do. Demon eyes not really. How much do you think parts would cost for all that?

Definitely doable. I've shipped to Canada before with no issues. That's exactly what I had in mind. I'd put some amber leds for turns minimum though to be safe. I'll have to check on shipping and stuff but I'll pm you both!

Definitely doable. I've shipped to Canada before with no issues. That's exactly what I had in mind. I'd put some amber leds for turns minimum though to be safe. I'll have to check on shipping and stuff but I'll pm you both!

Cool! Yeah what he sent pics of is about what I want with the switch backs.

Have you a cost effective source of hid reflectors?

I've used select ebay ones with good results. obviously you get what you pay for, but for me, I don't need 10,000 lumens so... Lol

I use diode isolation and enable the lows with the highs, for me it's twice as many reflectors so I've been watching for an option that doesn't require the sale of a kidney.

it's twice as many reflectors so I've been watching for an option that doesn't require the sale of a kidney.

Assure the stock lenses aren't cloudy or disfigured.

Assure the stock reflectors are still in good condition.

Assure the stock bulbs haven't gone black with age.

Assure the bulbs get 12.8--13.2 volts with the engine running.  Less leads to poor brightness, more reduces bulb life.

Aim the headlights properly.

Simple, easy, effective, low-to-moderate cost.

Leave the goofy aftermarket crap in China, where they don't have to deal with DOT regulations.    Oncoming traffic doesn't have to deal with glare from illegal junk headlights with overly-bright but poorly-focused beams.

Assure the stock lenses aren't cloudy or disfigured.

Assure the stock reflectors are still in good condition.

Assure the stock bulbs haven't gone black with age.

Assure the bulbs get 12.8--13.2 volts with the engine running. Less leads to poor brightness, more reduces bulb life.

Aim the headlights properly.

Leave the goofy aftermarket crap in China, where they don't have to deal with DOT regulations.

Agree on the condition of the headlights

Don't use stock halogen bulbs with projectors, just

yes, you want voltage, use a relay

aiming is exactly the same as

where do you think morimotos are made?

Halogen headlights suck, much of my night driving is not in an urban environment.

Agreed. It gets even worse with the road salt here. Sometimes the car behind me's lights are brighter than my own! Lol

Halogen headlights suck, much of my night driving is not in an urban environment.

Couldn't possibly disagree more. HIRs in a good, clean housing with proper power delivery is far superior to any PnP kit. Period.

Couldn't possibly disagree more. HIRs in a good, clean housing with proper power delivery is far superior to any PnP kit. Period.

I agree if you're talking about hids in stock halogen housings with no relay kit, but proper hids with good projectors with a good relay harness pointed correctly will always outshine any halogen bulb no matter how clean the housings are. It's how the light is produced. Yes, crappy spyder projector kits are garbage no matter what.