Roof molding install...

KnightOwl

I've never done a set of these roof moldings before and the ones currently on the car looks like someone went wild with RTV...which is a great sealant but a lousy adhesive. I was originally thinking 3M tape but the channel looks much different shape than the base of the rail.

I looked on YouTube for a how-to and found a couple hits, but as usual, most of these guys love to hear themselves talk while they curse, point, and wave the phone theyre using all over the place. Not very instructive. One video suggested removing the headliner and drilling to use screws...I dont think so.

Better ideas? Pics?

Are you referring to the strips where the roof rails go? If so, I've used a body adhesive tape before with good results. Though it is a pain to clean the old stuff off first.

Are you referring to the strips where the roof rails go? If so, I've used a body adhesive tape before with good results. Though it is a pain to clean the old stuff off first.

Yes sir! I decided to pain the 40th roof rail black to go with all the other window/sunroof trim. The car is missing one side of the current molding and the gutter is full of either RTV painted white or maybe bathtub caulk? LOL When you say body adhesive tape, do you mean 3M tape like I've used for spoilers and other trim? The stuff I cleaned off the bottom of the rail I purchased had a similar foam layer.

Yup! That's what I used. Can't find the link, but it was an extra thin strip that was just about the length of the rails. Worst part was getting the old stuff off. Used a plastic razor blade with rubbing alcohol. 

Yup! That's what I used. Can't find the link, but it was an extra thin strip that was just about the length of the rails. Worst part was getting the old stuff off. Used a plastic razor blade with rubbing alcohol.

next time you have to tackle a similar project, pop for the 3M adhesive remover (I bought 2 spray cans) Its citrus based so it doesn't harm paint but it works great at breaking down the old residue. (Don think its gonna make a dent on RTV! LOL)