Quick Struts and Strut Plus...

KnightOwl

I've been looking online at Monroe Quick Struts or the KYB Strut Plus.  I put KYBs on my first GP and was happy with the ride but was also curious, did the GTP get a stiffer spring as part of the package? Or are the aftermarket strut packages using the same spring?

I'm really not interested in lowering, just a the good firm ride that handles well. I'll also assume upgrading the sway bars probably makes a big difference with cornering power and body roll.

Feedback?

i got a set of 4, them cheap ones 225 for 4 shipped. really helped the ride out, lifted the ass up too.  turns out i had kyb's up front already, id say they were shot, who knows how old they were. 

I think I'll go with the KYB strut plus...when it put them on my 2001 they corrected the rear ride height with the stock springs...at least these will be new. Then the fatter sway bars and STBs should do the trick for my purposes ;)

I put a set of ebay cheap quick struts on my 08 with 190,000 miles. Improved ride and raised ride hight all around. Not always desired but doesn’t bother me anymore. No more scraping the front air dam on curbs. bfc8852ff627ba1b3f401349dc87ec07.jpg

221 bucks with free shipping from Florida. Still baffled how they can ship 115 lbs free. ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've often been baffled by the free shipping thing...Its not really free of course, but I suppose they get a good bulk rate because they ship so much stuff so often.

Why do people jump into quick struts so quickly? A spring compressor is like $20 so I don't think it's a monetary decision since it's far more expensive. Does everyone else have problems with spring fatigue or is it maybe the comfort of knowing the springs are new?

No more scraping the front air dam on curbs.

I have two lowered cars and have never scraped on a curb. I cringe when I see cars up on the curb/concrete block thingy. I don’t get it :thinking:
  • Like 2

Why do people jump into quick struts so quickly? A spring compressor is like $20 so I don't think it's a monetary decision since it's far more expensive. Does everyone else have problems with spring fatigue or is it maybe the comfort of knowing the springs are new?

I think the droopy rear end leads most to believe the springs are fatigued or they believe a new spring with a better strut might be firmer. The other thing is that a spring compressor might only be $20 but working with changing them can be intimidating to some. I personally didnt enjoy wrestling with them on the workbench when I can get the assembly and swap it in. BIG time saver. I guess as I've gotten older I dont relish spending so much of my off time tinkering with the car, so time savers are a factor even if they cost a little more.

• Like 3

I usually use quick struts because of the name. It's super easy to go that route over messing with the death trap called the spring compressor.

I see where ZZP is offering lowering springs (7/8 front / 1/2 rear) pre-loaded on KYB Excel GR-2 or AGX adjustable. The product description says the small amount of lowering will not cause axle wobble. I gotta admit, when I lowered the 2001, I didnt mind the ride but I could never get the vibration out of the driveline (I tried the shorter dogbones) so I took them back off. Like anything ZZP, the $849 price tag is steep but they are complete, ready to install struts/springs.