2002 Grand Prix Gt Engine Removal

GTP21

ENGINE REPLACEMENT (ENGINE MECHANICAL - 3.8L)Document ID# 786400Engine ReplacementRemoval Procedure

Caution: Refer to Battery Disconnect Caution in Cautions and Notices.

Notice: Refer to Engine Emission Notice in Cautions and Notices.

Disconnect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection in Engine Electrical.Remove the hood. Refer to Hood Replacement in Body Front End.Remove the fuel injector sight shield. Refer to Fuel Injector Sight Shield Replacement (L36)Fuel Injector Sight Shield Replacement (L67).Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.Drain the engine oil. Refer to Engine Oil and Oil Filter Replacement.Drain the cooling system. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling in Engine Cooling.Remove the torque converter cover. Refer to Torque Converter Cover Replacement in Automatic Transaxle–4T65-E.Remove the starter motor. Refer to Starter Replacement (3.1L)Starter Replacement (3.8L) in EngineElectrical.Remove the engine flywheel-to-torque converter bolts. Refer to Torque Converter Bolt Replacement in Automatic Transaxle–4T65-E.Scribe the torque converter to the flywheel for installation.Remove the transaxle brace. Refer to Transmission Brace Replacement in Automatic Transaxle–4T65-E.

Remove the engine mount lower nuts.Remove the three-way catalytic converter pipe from the right exhaust manifold. Refer to Catalytic Converter Replacement (3.1L)Catalytic Converter Replacement (3.8L) in Engine Exhaust.Remove the oil level sensor harness retainer bolt.Remove the oil level harness retainer from the engine.Disconnect and reposition the electrical connectors from the following components:The vehicle speed sensor (VSS)The oil pressure sensorThe oil level sensorThe knock sensorsThe heated oxygen (H02) sensorRemove the oil filter adapter housing. Refer to Oil Filter Adapter and Bypass Valve Assembly Replacement.Remove the engine ground nut and engine ground from the transaxle stud.

Remove the bolt (6) and stud (1) which secure the lower transaxle to the engine.Lower the vehicle while supporting the transaxle.Remove the air cleaner assembly. Refer to Air Cleaner Assembly Replacement in Engine Controls–3.8L.

Important:  Relieve the fuel pressure. Refer to Fuel Pressure Relief in Engine Controls – 3.8L.

Disconnect the fuel lines (1,2) from the fuel rail. Lay the fuel lines aside. Refer to Fuel Line Replacement - Filter to Engine in Engine Controls–3.8L.Disconnect the fuel vapor line.Remove the throttle and cruise control cables and bracket from the throttle body. Refer to Accelerator Control Cable Bracket Replacement in Engine Controls–3.8L.

Loosen the water pump pulley bolts.Remove the drive belt. Refer to Drive Belt Replacement (L36)Drive Belt Replacement (L67).Remove the water pump pulley bolts and the water pump pulley.Remove the right and left engine mount struts. Refer to Engine Mount Strut Replacement - Right Side and to Engine Mount Strut Replacement - Left Side.Remove the engine mount brackets from the radiator support. Refer to Engine Mount Strut Bracket Replacement - Upper Radiator Support.Disconnect the positive battery cable.Remove the engine cooling fans. Refer to Engine Coolant Fan Replacement in Engine Cooling.Remove the vacuum booster hose from the engine. Refer to Power Brake Booster Vacuum Check Valve and Hose Replacement in Hydraulic Brakes.Disconnect the A/C vacuum hose from the engine.

Remove the power steering pump bolts and pump from the engine. Lay the power steering pump aside.Disconnect the upper engine electrical connectors from the following components:The fuel injectorsThe throttle position (T/P) sensorThe idle air control (IAC) valveThe EVAP purge solenoidThe exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valveThe manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensorRemove upper engine wiring harness from retaining clips and reposition the engine wiring harness for engine removal.Remove the radiator inlet hose from the engine. Refer to Radiator Inlet Hose Replacement (3.1L)Radiator Inlet Hose Replacement (3.8L) in Engine Cooling.Remove the radiator outlet hose from the engine. Refer to Radiator Outlet Hose Replacement (3.1L)Radiator Outlet Hose Replacement (3.8L) in Engine Cooling.Remove the heater hoses from the drive belt tensioner. Refer to Heater Inlet Hose Replacement (3.1L)Heater Inlet Hose Replacement (3.8L) and to Heater Outlet Hose Replacement (3.1L)Heater Outlet Hose Replacement (3.8L) in Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning.

Remove the A/C compressor from the engine. DO NOT discharge the A/C system. Secure the compressor to the frame.Install the engine lifting device.

Remove the upper transaxle-to-engine bolts (2,3,4,5).With the aid of an assistant, remove the engine from the vehicle.Remove the flywheel. Refer to Engine Flywheel Replacement.Install the engine to the engine stand.

Remove the oil indicator tube nut from the exhaust manifold.Remove the oil level indicator tube.

Remove the left side engine mount bracket bolts.

Remove the right side engine mount bracket bolts and the engine mount bracket.Remove the drive belt tensioner. Refer to Drive Belt Tensioner Replacement (Supercharger).Remove the ignition control module and the ignition control module bracket. Refer to Ignition Control Module Replacement in Engine Controls–3.8L.Remove the left and right side engine mount strut brackets. Refer to Engine Mount Strut Bracket Replacement - Left Side and to Engine Mount Strut Bracket Replacement - Right Upper (L36)EngineMount Strut Bracket Replacement - Right Upper (L67).

Remove the A/C compressor bracket bolts and bracket.

Remove the fuel injector sight shield bracket nuts.Remove the fuel injector sight shield bracketRemove the EGR valve adapter from the right cylinder head. Refer to Exhaust Gas Recirculation Inlet Pipe Replacement in Engine Controls–3.8L.Remove the upper intake manifold or supercharger. Refer to Upper Intake Manifold Replacement orSupercharger Replacement.

Remove the generator brace bracket bolts.Remove the generator brace bracket from the right cylinder head.Remove the left and the right engine lift brackets.Remove the crankshaft balancer. Refer to Crankshaft Balancer Replacement.Remove the right exhaust manifold, the left exhaust manifold and the exhaust crossover. Refer toExhaust Manifold Replacement - Right Side (3.1L)Exhaust Manifold Replacement - Right Side (3.8L) and to Exhaust Manifold Replacement - Left Side (3.1L)Exhaust Manifold Replacement - Left Side (3.8L) in Engine Exhaust.Installation Procedure

Notice: Refer to Engine Emission Notice in Cautions and Notices.

Install the right exhaust manifold, the left exhaust manifold and the exhaust crossover. Refer toExhaust Manifold Replacement - Right Side (3.1L)Exhaust Manifold Replacement - Right Side (3.8L) and to Exhaust Manifold Replacement - Left Side (3.1L)Exhaust Manifold Replacement - Left Side (3.8L) in Engine Exhaust.Install the crankshaft balancer. Refer to Crankshaft Balancer Replacement.Install the engine lift brackets.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.

Install the bolts and the nuts to the left and the right engine lift bracket.

Tighten:

Tighten the bolts and the nuts to 30 [n-m] (22 lb ft).

Install the generator brace bracket to the right cylinder head.Install the bolts to the generator brace bracket.

Tighten:

Tighten the bolts to 50 [n-m] (37 lb ft).

Install the upper intake manifold or supercharger. Refer to Upper Intake Manifold Replacement or toSupercharger Replacement.Install the EGR valve adapter to the right cylinder head. Refer to Exhaust Gas Recirculation Inlet Pipe Replacement in Engine Controls–3.8L.

Install the bracket to the fuel injector sight shield.Install the bracket nuts to the fuel injector sight shield.

Tighten:

Tighten the nuts to 30 [n-m] (22 lb ft).

Install the A/C compressor bracket and bolts.

Tighten:

Tighten the bracket bolts to 50 [n-m] (37 lb ft).

Install the left and right side engine mount brackets. Refer to Engine Mount Strut Bracket Replacement - Left Side and to Engine Mount Strut Bracket Replacement - Right Upper (L36)Engine Mount Strut Bracket Replacement - Right Upper (L67).Install the ignition control module bracket and the ignition control module. Refer to Ignition Control Module Replacement in Engine Controls–3.8L.Install the drive belt tensioner. Refer to Drive Belt Tensioner Replacement (Supercharger).

Install the engine mount bracket and install the bracket bolts to the right side engine mount.

Install the bracket bolts to the left side engine mount.

Tighten:

Tighten the bracket bolts to 102 [n-m] (75 lb ft).

Install the oil indicator tube to the engine. Ensure that the O-ring is in place. Ensure that the oil level indicator tube is fully seated in the engine.

Tighten:

Tighten the nut on the oil level indicator tube to 19 [n-m] (14 lb ft).

Remove the engine from the engine stand.Install the flywheel. Refer to Engine Flywheel Replacement.With the aid of an assistant, install the engine to the vehicle.

Secure the upper transaxle to the engine with the bolts (2,3,4,5).

Tighten:

Tighten the bolts to 75 [n-m] (55 lb ft).

Remove the engine lifting device.

Install the A/C compressor to the A/C compressor bracket.

Tighten:

Tighten the A/C compressor nuts to 30 [n-m] (22 lb ft).

Install the heater hoses to the drive belt tensioner. Refer to Heater Inlet Hose Replacement (3.1L)Heater Inlet Hose Replacement (3.8L) and to Heater Outlet Hose Replacement (3.1L)Heater Outlet Hose Replacement (3.8L) in Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning.Install the radiator outlet hose to the engine. Refer to Radiator Outlet Hose Replacement (3.1L)Radiator Outlet Hose Replacement (3.8L) in Engine Cooling.Install the radiator inlet hose to the engine. Refer to Radiator Inlet Hose Replacement (3.1L)Radiator Inlet Hose Replacement (3.8L) in Engine Cooling.Reposition the engine wiring to the engine.Connect the upper engine electrical connectors to the following components:The manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensorThe exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valveThe EVAP purge solenoidThe idle air control (IAC) valveThe throttle position (T/P) sensorThe fuel injectorsInstall the upper engine wiring harness to the retaining clips.

Install the power steering pump to the engine.

Tighten:

Tighten the power steering bolts to 34 [n-m] (25 lb ft).

Connect the A/C vacuum hose to the engine.Install the vacuum booster hose to the engine. Refer to Power Brake Booster Vacuum Check Valve and Hose Replacement in Hydraulic Brakes.Install the engine cooling fans. Refer to Engine Coolant Fan Replacement in Engine Cooling.Connect the positive battery cable.

Tighten:

Tighten the cable terminal nut to 15 [n-m] (11 lb ft).

Install the engine mount brackets to the radiator support. Refer to Engine Mount Strut Bracket Replacement - Upper Radiator Support.Install the engine mount struts to the engine mount strut brackets. Refer to Engine Mount Strut Replacement - Right Side and to Engine Mount Strut Replacement - Left Side.

Install the water pump pulley.Install the water pump pulley bolts.

Tighten:

Tighten the pulley bolts to 13 [n-m] (116 lb in).

Install the drive belt.Install the throttle cable, the cruise control cable and bracket to the throttle body. Refer to Accelerator Control Cable Bracket Replacement in Engine Controls–3.8L.Connect the fuel vapor line.

Connect the fuel lines (1,2) to the fuel rail. Refer to Fuel Line Replacement - Filter to Engine in EngineControls–3.8L.Install the throttle body air inlet duct and the air cleaner assembly. Refer to Air Cleaner Assembly Replacement in Engine Controls–3.8L.Raise the vehicle and remove the transaxle support.

Secure the lower transaxle to the engine with a bolt (6) and a stud (1).

Tighten:

Tighten the bolt and the stud to 75 [n-m] (55 lb ft).

Install the engine ground to the transaxle stud.

Tighten:

Tighten the engine ground nut to 35 [n-m] (26 lb ft).

Install the oil filter adapter housing. Refer to Oil Filter Adapter and Bypass Valve Assembly Replacement.Reposition and connect the electrical connectors to the following components:The heated oxygen (H02) sensorThe knock sensorsThe oil level sensorThe oil pressure sensorThe vehicle speed sensor (VSS)Install the harness retainer on the oil level sensor to the engine.

Tighten:

Tighten the retainer bolt to 10 [n-m] (89 lb in).

Install the three-way catalytic converter pipe to the right exhaust manifold. Refer to Catalytic Converter Replacement (3.1L)Catalytic Converter Replacement (3.8L) in Engine Exhaust.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

What in the world is this word soup?

What happens when you write a book using the mobile website. The mobile site for some reason doesn't have the right coding to enter line breaks. 

Yeah, I honestly don't know what it is either, but one can assume right?

Yeah, it was. If someone wants this I can just copy it out of Techline and preserve the formatting.

It would be great to have preserved and formatted well with pictures. But unless someone is about to take their engine out I don’t see pictures being put in until someone does.

It's the thought that counts.

I’m actually putting together a little booklet of the description and how the 3800 works. Idk if there’s one for the trans. Every system seems to have one of those in the service manual. I’m doing it just to have in my records. If it’s something worth posting I will when I finish it. But like this it’s also from the service manual. Tweaked in a few spots in my own words or left little things out or so but that’s it.

What happens when you write a book using the mobile website. The mobile site for some reason doesn't have the right coding to enter line breaks. 

Yeah, I honestly don't know what it is either, but one can assume right?

It does the same thing with my iPad Pro, using Chrome, even though I load the desktop version.

I’m actually putting together a little booklet of the description and how the 3800 works. Idk if there’s one for the trans. Every system seems to have one of those in the service manual. I’m doing it just to have in my records. If it’s something worth posting I will when I finish it. But like this it’s also from the service manual. Tweaked in a few spots in my own words or left little things out or so but that’s it.

I can get it for whatever want

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk