Wiring Up Fog Lights to Work With High Beams

Mitchellman

Hi All,

I replaced my stock fog lights with aftermarket LED driving lights, and they work great! Light up the road with crisp, white light and I can see about 40 feet on each side of the Regal at night.

I want the fog lights to work with the high beams. Is there a way to do this without having to rewire the current fog light switch? If the fog lights work independently, I'm ok with that. Just want them to be on with low beams and high beams.

Thank you!

I'll look at the prints tomorrow and post a something or another. If I read this correctly you want to enable with the fog switch, but only illuminate with the headlights wether the high or low beams are on.

• Like 1

I'll look at the prints tomorrow and post a something or another. If I read this correctly you want to enable with the fog switch, but only illuminate with the headlights wether the high or low beams are on.

Exactly! Was trying to think it through without having to wire in another external switch, but haven't been able to figure it out.

What year Regal?

The early Gen 1 cars have a front end relay center mounted to the right side chassis rail next to the engine, one has to go into that relay center and remove the ground path of the fog relay control side circuit from the high beam headlamp circuit ( the fog relay grounds thru both high beam filaments).

After doing this one then runs a ground wire to anywhere nearby to the chassis. This will allow the fogs to come on regardless of whether the lows or highs are on. I did this years ago.

I was just about to post a thread to do this on my '92 when I saw this.  I'm looking to do the same thing with a pending H3 LED fog light upgrade.  Important to keep in mind that my high-beams already are LEDs, and 55trucker's post above explains why I'm now getting a high-beam indicator on the HUD when I turn on the fogs.

When you're searching for replacement led cob style lamps note that these aftermarket H3 bulbs are longer than the OEM H3's that are in the fog lamps that are mounted under the coupe models. The bulbs as purchased will not fit into the housings.

I had to modify the base of the bulbs to shorten them up so one can get them into the lamp housings.

Here are two that I altered to get them into the housings, these are both approx 2000 lumens each, a little more than the OEM Halogen high beams are (1800). The OEM halogen H3's are approx 1400 lumens.6orxktl.jpg

Yep, Trucker had it. All you have to do is ground the light green wire from the FOG relay to do what you want. If you want the FOG indicator to behave properly that would require grounding the light green wire from the indicator.

post-3252-0-57431200-1510191578_thumb.png

post-3252-0-96743000-1510191582_thumb.png

Okay, so for a '92, there are no fuses or relays for high-beams in either side electrical centers on mine, only the fog relay on the right side.  I'm thinking all I need to do is cut the "85" ground wire to the fog relay and ground it to the frame.  But I've seen a video of a guy with a Dodge who did it just by breaking off the #1 coil leg on the micro relay for his fogs. Near as I can tell this would have the effect of converting the changeover relay into a make & break relay.  I don't know if this would work here but I think the concept is the same.  Break the 85 or 86 leg off, still not sure which one it translates to yet, and it might do the same thing without any wiring modifications.  I'm checking to see if I have a spare relay in case it doesn't.

https://youtu.be/Envb1qywit0?t=102

Well I just tried it, and breaking the 86 leg off the relay meant they didn't work at all, and when I ran the 85 wire to chassis ground I popped the TAIL fuse and upon replacing it, the fogs don't work at all anymore.  The 15A FOG fuse in the front right electrical center is good and I swapped the FOG relay too, but it didn't make any difference.  Not sure what I've screwed up now.

those prints are for a 94 GS. what exactly is the 92? I'll look that up in a few minutes if you tell me

I was on my phone, I can see your siggie with the GTP now

Well I just tried it, and breaking the 86 leg off the relay meant they didn't work at all, and when I ran the 85 wire to chassis ground I popped the TAIL fuse and upon replacing it, the fogs don't work at all anymore.  The 15A FOG fuse in the front right electrical center is good and I swapped the FOG relay too, but it didn't make any difference.  Not sure what I've screwed up now.

Just put it back the way it was, yours is the same with the exception being no FOG indicator. Access the underside if the relay center (Battery disconnected) and ground the Light Green wire from the FOG relay.

1992 GP:

post-3252-0-64340700-1510198062_thumb.png

post-3252-0-38588000-1510198068_thumb.png

On my Regal I did HID high and low beams, used a couple diodes and had it to where my high beams were 4 HID bulbs illuminated at one time because the lows stayed on too. Every now and then some unfortunate soul would flash me and how horrified they must have been when I flashed them back.

Her Monte Carlo is the same way but I haven't gotten around to doing the SSEI yet.

You should have this.......

zIP4Q7t.jpg

this is where the fog relay is, not to be confused with the right side electrical center. This is hidden by the coolant recovery tank.

You should have this.......

zIP4Q7t.jpg

this is where the fog relay is, not to be confused with the right side electrical center

I didn't realize they had the horns hidden in the fender back then...

You could put a couple big honkin' diodes across. I converted to actual relays (and used a diode) since I had the HIDs so they would have a better source of power. It's not a terrible mod if you're comfortable doing wiring.

Without relays I'd expect this to pop a fuse or run too much current through the headlight switch since it was barely adequate for 2 bulbs as it was.

Edited by Imp558

Is there any way I can wire up my low beams to the fogs so they'll both stay on with the high beams?

lol...that's what we've been discussing.....altho your vehicle is the 94 Regal the fogs are controlled in the same manner as the GP coupes.

The fog relay control side grounds thru the high beam headlight filaments. You have to take the ground for the relay off the high beam circuit & then independently ground that circuit to the chassis.

How hard is it to do HIDs? I currently have the xenon high and low beams. Nice crisp white light, but would like more.

I have HID's for my low beams, they are coming out in favour of LED lamps, the HID's were installed 3 years ago due to the poor lighting capabilities of the mini-quads. HID's are impossible to aim, if used they need a Casper shield around the filament to control the light disperal pattern, but the newer triangular filament LED's are a much better choice, the low beam doesn't blind oncoming traffic seeing as only two of the three filaments are used which point the light beam down onto the road & not up in the air in the same manner as HID's do.

I have a set of LED's in my Ranger truck.

We're talking about the same lights. I just made a little subharness for across the front of the car that had 2 relays and larger power and ground wires. It had the plugs for the HID ballasts and 1 each for the old headlights to plug in and trigger it, then I ran a diode between the two.

The headlight switch only has a tiny amount of current to deal with because the relays are actually carrying the load and the HID ballasts have plenty of current to work with as opposed to the small wires GM ran for headlights.

On the Monte I got out some big capacitors that came from an electronics supply a while back and put 1 per ballast in to eliminate any disco.

The "new" GS will be hardwired, no plug in subharness in front.

I have HID's for my low beams, they are coming out in favour of LED lamps, the HID's were installed 3 years ago due to the poor lighting capabilities of the mini-quads. HID's are impossible to aim, but the newer triangular filament LED's are a much better choice, the low beam doesn't blind oncoming traffic seeing as only two of the three filaments are used which point the light beam down on the road & not up in the air in the same manner as HID's do.

I have a set of LED's in my Ranger truck.

I want to get some LED lights, it would be interesting to get the LUX meter out and do a HID vs LED shootout comparison like I did with the halogens. LEDs draw less current so they should be even more efficient than the HIDs.

Just went out and double-checked, my '92 does not have that forward electrical center.  I don't know if it is somewhere else or just doesn't exist, but the only 4 electrical centers I know about are the one on the left front of the engine bay, the right rear of the engine bay, the fuse panel in the glove box and the electrical center in the passenger footwell.