swapping radio's

cutty collector

Does anyone know if 93 and 94 radio's will interchange in the olds cutlass these are both cars with steering wheel controls swapped them now I have no program control only the volume control works when installed in the 93 car .Maybe both 20 something year old have some ailments?

Iirc since they changed the controls (and the oddball obd 1.5) 93-94 don't interchange as far as swrc

The OBD system has nothing to do with the radio. They had the same connectors. It's the addition of a clockspring that would though. 94 has an airbag, 93 didn't. I think they took away buttons from the 88-93 steering wheel controls.

• 2 months later...

I believe Matt is correct. The E&C protocol is different between 1993 and 1994. The 93 model years used the optical slip ring in the steering column and used data pulses to control the radio. The 94 models used differing voltage levels and no slip ring because of the airbag. The 94 radio volume is the only thing that will work because the CDM tuner box on the top of the radio will still respond to some old E&C protocol commands.

• Like 1

Can you explain better what you have swapped?

From how I read it, you have a 1994 Radio and you are trying to put it into a 93 car. It would seem odd to me that they would remove part of the protocol for one year, rather than adding to it, but as the above posts mention, it sounds like they did, and you are only getting the common functions (volume). It would not surorise me, as I added steering wheel controls to my g6, and while the volume works, all other functions do different tasks than what is pictured. For instance, seek down is now mute, and disk change 1-6 is now tune up. Supposedly I can get these programmed in, but I have not tried it.