buick regal 1989 instrument cluster flickering

roadhawk

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Expose the board and get your soldering iron out.  You just need to melt the solder and let it solidify, keep in mind it might have lead in it so use a respirator or hold your breath at least. You likely wont be able to see any breaks in the solder so don't get discouraged if it looks fine.

Might need to use acetone to remove the protective coating from the solder though.  The PCB will be coated for sure but I can remember if the solder joints were sprayed as well.  You can tell easily if the solder feels 'sticky' when you scratch it with your finger nail.  I cleaned my board with acetone and got lots of little 'rubbery boogers' off of it.  it helps to put the acetone in a very small spray bottle and have a small brush to get in there right after.  I did this repair many years ago to fix some bulbs that would only light up when it got warm. 

Hi,

mine does flicker too. Also I think the dimmer switch does, taken to the leftmost position will not take the dash illumination down as it did some time before. Just in case helps.

Could this also be due to a bad regulator.

Could any cluster issues such as the cluster bulbs be related to a faulty turn singal indicator light that won’t blink? My right turn singal indicator light flashes but the left doesn’t until I jiggle the lever for the light to blink. Could it be a bad turn signal switch or a short in the bulb? The lever locks and disengages fine. All I have to do is just jiggle the lever for the turn signal indicator light to blink on the left side. I was told you don’t need to replace the lever since mine is red. The turn signal is separate from the lever.

Could any cluster issues such as the cluster bulbs be related to a faulty turn singal indicator light that won’t blink? My right turn singal indicator light flashes but the left doesn’t until I jiggle the lever for the light to blink. Could it be a bad turn signal switch or a short in the bulb? The lever locks and disengages fine. All I have to do is just jiggle the lever for the turn signal indicator light to blink on the left side. I was told you don’t need to replace the lever since mine is red. The turn signal is separate from the lever.

You should start a new thread for this.  Will need more info from you on it.

• Like 1