Power Steering reservoir replacement

Imp558

this was pretty easy but I took a couple of pictures along the way. The majority of the power steering pump failures I've seen have been due to Leaky reservoirs. there are two clips, one on either side all you have to do is release the lock in the Middle with a screwdriver and tap the clip off and the reservoir will fall off in your hand virtually. There is an o-ring in there so make sure you've got an O-ring handy when you put one in.

post-3252-0-89901500-1504627987_thumb.jpg

post-3252-0-06636500-1504628019_thumb.jpg

• 5 years later...

Have a major power steering leak on my 2000 Grand Prix GT 3.8L and am planning to R&R the power steering pump, lines, etc.,.

The only thing I could find so far is this older thread. Since it is in General/Brakes/Suspension/Steering, I would like to know specifically, WHAT VEHICLE, year, make, engine, if possible.

Or, if anyone can tell me is my year/model Grand Prix power steering reservoir is a replaceable item?

Any help would be appreciated!

I did a quick search and found that the remanufactured power steering pumps can be purchased with or without the reservoir.  I didn't see a specific part number listed for the reservoir. 

On a 2000 Grand prix the power steering reservoir is a replaceable part. I couldn't find a part number.

I wanna say thats still relevant information to what you're doing

Though I'd say - unless your factory pump is actually whats leaking - keep it and just replace the bad lines

Thanks for that~!

Understood, search for replacement reservoir not found.

My aim is to buy a new AC/Delco power steering pump w/o reservoir and simply replace O-rings and reuse original reservoir.

1 hour ago, White93z34 said:

I wanna say thats still relevant information to what you're doing

Though I'd say - unless your factory pump is actually whats leaking - keep it and just replace the bad lines

Thanks, see my last post above.

At this time, I don't know exactly what/where it is leaking but we looked at it on the lift and it's a lot. My plan includes installing new lines, w/new O-rings. then flush and fill, PLUS, I believe the system bust be bled like brakes. Another bridge to cross.

BTW: a nice list of hotrods there~!

Thanks again~!

The pump itself is a relatively common item, that Saginaw TC type 2 design was used on a multitude of fwd cars from that era as well as a few Chrysler/Jeep vehicles.

One major operating difference in the pump would be the addition of variable assist steering....your car has it or it does not.

The reservoirs were not prone to cracking, without any more information I'd bet that the O-ring seal has failed, unless you've damaged the return line nipple.