Sticky Lifter

pshojo

I believe I have a sticky, or lifter that drains down sometimes.  It makes a little noise 1/2 the time on start up, then goes away after a block or two.  Any suggestions? I'm thinking running some transmission oil through for 5-10 minutes before oil change then Marvel Mystery? Thoughts?

Tranny fluid tends to coagulate when it gets hot. I'd be more prone to try mmo or a slick 50 type product that forms smaller molecular chains in an attempt to penetrate and lube the lifter. Stuff that's supposed to quiet an engine is usually thick.

I believe I have a sticky, or lifter that drains down sometimes.  It makes a little noise 1/2 the time on start up, then goes away after a block or two.  Any suggestions? I'm thinking running some transmission oil through for 5-10 minutes before oil change then Marvel Mystery? Thoughts?

WHAT ENGINE???  WHAT CAR?

The 3.4L DOHC in the early W-body had a service bulletin about noisy lifters when cold.

http://www.60degreev6.com/vb5/articles/-1991-1997-dohc-aa/424720-lq1-service-bulletin-57-61-09-lifter-tick-cold

Having performed the modification on one of my own cars, I think it's a dodge to avoid dealing with piston slap.

Trans fluid MIGHT work.  MMO MIGHT work.  Seafoam MIGHT work.  Gunk Engine Flush MIGHT work.  Thirty other dissolve-and-flush-the-crud-in-your-engine products MIGHT work.

My guess is that none of them will make any difference.  But you won't know until you try.

• 2 weeks later...